[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SC: AR target please help - Reply (LONG)

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:22:34 -0400

A quote.... "You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits =
it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs =
it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered."
Lyndon B. Johnson

I have been battling anti pet legislation for more than 20 years. Long =
before most people had a clue what "animal rights" even meant. Five =
years or so before Patti Strand (my hero!) wrote Hijacking The Humane =
Movement. During that time I have also watched local Animal Control =
and/or Humane Societies basically taken over by anti pet/anti breeding =
personel, many trained BY H$U$ - in fact many (and growing every day) =
"anti cruelty" laws stipulate that H$U$ will "train" the local ACOs.  If =
not H$U$ trained, the majority of the rest are simply ignorant of =
legitimate animal husbandry. There are exceptions, but they are rare.=20

Now, if one could GUARANTEE that the law would be enforced by =
"reasonable" human beings, then you're right, there would be no problem. =
 But again... see quote at the beginning....

So let us examine this law in the light of said quote....

<(1)    'Confine an animal in a cruel manner' or cruel confinement of an =
animal' means confining an animal by means of a cage, crate, pen, or =
similar confinement under circumstances in which the person intends to =
endanger the animal's health or safety, or the person reasonably should =
have known would endanger the animal's health or safety. 'Confine an =
animal in a cruel manner' or 'cruel confinement of an animal' includes, =
but is not limited to, a confinement that:=20

(a)    confines an animal for such an unreasonable period of time that =
the animal's health or safety is endangered; >

Sooo, what is an "unreasonable period of time"?  To many people, even =
two hours in a crate is "cruelty". I have personally known ACOs that =
believed ANY crating is "cruelty".  When the weather does not permit me =
leaving my dogs in the runs they are crated in my house while I am at =
work... that means as much as 8 or 9 hours in a crate.  I can guarantee =
you my dogs are NOT "abused", but under this law they very well could be =
(and probably WOULD, considering the mindset of the majority of ACOs).

<(b)    does not permit an animal to stand, turn around, sit, and lie =
down in a normal position; >

Ask people trying to ship dogs just how much grief this wording has =
caused!  My largest male, Vlad is about 27 inches, nearing 80 pounds. He =
is in a 500 crate. He has plenty of room to be comfortable, but =
obviously cannot stand with his head erect. I could NOT ship this dog in =
a 500 crate because of this wording.  If this were law here I would be =
in danger of being accused of "cruelty"... I am sure there are many =
others on this list in the same boat.

<(d)    does not permit an animal access to sustenance; >

Contrary to the dicates of Animal Planet Channel's pet "cops" (which =
btw, pretty much depicts ACOs these days) dogs DO NOT need 24/7 access =
to food.  I do NOT free feed my dogs and never have and never will. =
According to this law that could, and probably would be determined to be =
"cruelty".

Actually, the tethering explanations in this law are not bad... they =
don't prohibit tethering, and the violations are much more clearly =
defined. I don't really have issue with that part of the law.

Oh, and to your "aside" Rick... been there, done that, ROFL! Nearly =
ended up in jail for it.
=20
Ginger Cleary
Abusus non tollit usum.
Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/=20
Member GSDCA
Member Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
GA Director Responsible Dog Owners of the Eastern States.
=20