[ SHOWGSD-L ] SB411

  • From: Mary Tripp <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: show gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:51:28 -0500

The Senate hearing started on time at 1:30 and we were the second
bill.  Testimony started at about 2:00 PM and we left about 5:15 - Love
that rush hour traffic.

The Pro and Con were about equally matched in numbers and technical
capability.  The big push from the "dog" people was that we do not need any
more laws.  Just enforce what you have.  If anything put in a statewide
leash law----AND ENFORCE IT.      Texas has "first bite free" law that
needs to be repealed. There needs to be an increase in animal control
officers and much stiffer penalties for abuses.

The testimony of the other side was very sad.  People chewed up and
partially eaten by "loose" dogs.  Usually lacked adequate fencing, or some
even did not belong to anyone.

I think we made some points about the lack of ability to enforce "another"
law that is under funded and repeats what other laws are already
there.  Also, the law as written is far to broad.

The net result was that the bill was "tabled" for further discussion.  Keep
writing and calling.  If any of you know legislators personally, please
contact them about this bad legislation.

The GSDC of Austin had one additional attendee in Di
Gazdar.  Unfortunately, San Antonio could not make it.  My thanks to those
who could get there, sign in and two of us spoke:  Myself and AKC
judge  Carolyn McKenna.  Over all the two sides do agree that no one should
be subject to death by someone elses dog.  The weaknesses in definition and
excessive penalty for an offense are totally unacceptable  and we will
continue to protest.  Thanks to RPOA and the others who made it.  An
interesting note was brought up by Jeff Shaver with RPOA - evidently the
author of the House version of this bill was quoted to say he did not want
a state wide leash law because he would have to build a $60k fence to keep
his dog behind - a hunting labrador - It makes one wonder where the
priorities lie.

A point of interest, there was no sign of Peta and the extremists.  These
people have real stories and it is a serious concern to all.  We talked
with some of them after the hearing and there was no "craziness" or
animosity toward us, just an honest concern for their individual health and
well being.

We will see what comes next.

Mary Tripp

Mary Tripp         Mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.tripphill.com TRIPPHILL