[ SHOWGSD-L ] Running for the Board

  • From: <jdm_gsd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:17:58 -0400

This is from Dalene Mcintire who is also running for the Board.
All I know is what she has written below, please read it.
Thank you
Dottie Bowman

Hi All ~

I can't afford to send out a letter to all GSDCA members to ask for
their vote in the coming GSDCA election, so I am contacting people I
have been in touch with in the last year through my role as Obedience
Chairman.  I petitioned myself onto the slate to run for a board
position.  There are 18 candidates for those 7 positions this year
which is more than usual.  If, after reading this email, you can see
your way clear to voting for me, I would certainly appreciate it --
and spreading the word to any other friends you have who might also
vote for me.

I would like to be on the board because they need some representation
on there by people who know something about obedience and other
performance events, witnessed by the fact the board only submitted
two candidates for obedience judges for 2009 when we need THREE
judges.  Talk about having a choice.  I asked in my July report to
the board how they proposed to obtain a third judge and I have had no
answer.

I can tell you being Obedience Chairman and not being on the board
has been a difficult position to be in.  The board makes decisions
concerning obedience without checking with me first.  It took me
three years to have the information regarding obedience trophies in
the National catalogue corrected.  I have had difficulty in obtaining
six candidates for the obedience judges for the National for the last
few years.  The policy and procedures manual requires them to submit
six names to the membership for a vote, this year we have two.  In my
report to the July board meeting, I asked them to reconsider how
obedience judges are chosen and requested they either let the
obedience chairman or the obedience committee pick the candidates.  I
have heard nothing on this either.

In February of this year I sent a list of approximately 20 obedience
judges (along with their mailing addresses) to the board members so
they couldn't say they didn't know any obedience judges to contact --
and we ended up with two.  This is pure frustration on my part as
obedience chairman.

Lori Nickeson has been after me for four years to run for the board
and having been a board member in the past, I just didn't want to
enter into all that bickering, etc. again.  But this year the board
has pushed me beyond that point and I am willing to run for the board
so I can be a part of the decision making regarding obedience --
judges, location, etc.

Lori did a great and caring job when she was obedience chairman and
in the past four years, and this year as well, I have done my best to
run the obedience trials at the National as a quality event, a
special event that a National deserves...good rings, good stewards,
extra trophies, smoothly running, etc.  But I'm not sure I can
continue on in this job when I have to keep butting my head against a
brick wall.   I don't mind hard work, but I am not a glutton for
punishment.

I will be leaving here on the 5th and won't return until the 10th.  I
have a judging assignment in Greeley, Colorado, and am going early to
have time to run up to Loveland and check out the show site and make
sure there are no surprises for me in October regarding the location
of the obedience rings...and to check out my hotel, the Plaza Inn
(which I've been told has been bought by La Quinta).  I tell you this
only because if you email me during that time, I didn't want you to
think I was ignoring you.  I'll get caught up as fast as possible
after I return home.

If you would like to forward this email to anyone you think might be
interested, you certainly have my permission.  A few years ago I
accidentally erased my hard drive and lost the names of some of my
obedience contacts.

My whining is through, and now it's up to you and the rest of the
GSDCA membership.

Thank you for your consideration.

Dalene McIntire, CPS
Claiburne Kennels