[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rin Tin Tin and what brought you here?

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:33:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/2007 11:52:24 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
It  was "King," my grandfathers GSD and later Rin Tin Tin on TV that
stole my heart and made me want a GSD. In 1954 I walked into the
kennel at Fairmont Park in Riverside with Lee Duncan, and walked out
with my first GSD, Heidi (What else can you name your first GSD?). I
was just 15 years old, but that event was better than getting my
drivers license. She was so great and, in fact, chose my wife for  me.
Not every girl would go on a date with a guy who took his dog  along,
and none seemed to enjoy having the dog set between us. Oh  well.....

I am sure many of us sympathize with the owners on the loss of
RinTinTin..........he was surely a great part of what brought many of us  into
the breed.
So a new thread to memorialize this great line -- what brought you  into
GSD's?

For myself it was the influence of course of Rin Tin Tin and for  those of
you "oldies" remember Sgt. Preston and his dog King?  Sgt  Preston was a Royal
Canadian Mounted Police officer.
What I call the seal of the fate was reading Jack London's book "The  Cry of
the Wild".  There was a GSD in that book by the name of  Buck and I still
recall the excitement of him doing the "sled dog  pull".  Any one remember how
much was on the pallet?
Think it is about time I go back and read that one again, it has been  many
years since I visited there.
Molly

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1972
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont,  Life member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a  lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the  Titanic"