[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ribbons & things, new people and Beaumont

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:53:21 EDT

In a message dated 3/23/2008 11:25:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Sharon you have hit it right on the head. We must keep the thrill  in the dog
shows if we are going to attract young new people to the  sport. Why would
anyone including the younger ones in the sport want to  come join a bunch of
old
farts if it wasn't fun?

Ah, yes....the thrill.   I saw that thrill this  weekend on a new handler to
hit the ring.

Last year I had a young lady in her late teens who bought a pup come  and ask
for some help to assess and train her and her dog to go to  shows.  She had
researched shepherds and then bought a pup, who was  not yet 6 months when I
met them.

We have worked to hone her skills over the past many months and  yesterday
was the first time she walked into a ring.  Mary Tripp let  her take a bitch in
the winners bitch class and she did wonderful.
The plan had been for her to just show her young male at the sanction  match,
but she managed to hit the big ring too.

She took Best Op in Match with her boy.....she showed with skill and
confidence. And boy she made me proud.

Today, she came dressed to show, ready to go.  She was passed  the AM bred
male to show in the winners dog class, and yes, she took a  major and captured
the win, with a little help from a nice dog.  LOL.   Day 2 and major
points.....how great for a new young  handler to start out.

I would like to introduce Michelle Fields of Texas to the  fancy.  She has a
natural skill and turned more than one head this  weekend.   Thank you all who
gave her more encouragement to  carry on.
Believe me, she is hooked with a capital H!!

She has our other junior Duane Sibley determined to not let her steal  too
much of the limelight....many of you perhaps remember Duane from the  4th place
Am bred class at the national.  And by the way, did I  mention that Duane
handled the BOB bitch today, Trotter?????    He also was proud to win juniors
at
both shows.

It is so good to see these young ones coming up, keen and interested  and
highly competitive.
Today I am so proud of them both.

A big thanks to our judges Butch Stiefferman and Ann Barbash for  giving
these new faces a chance to compete at any level.

Thanks also goes to Ashley Miller for coming to our show and giving a
"Juniors on juniors" seminar for us.

We appreciate all of you who came and supported us the GSDC of  Beaumont, and
helped build those tough to get majors.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life  member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone  amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the  Titanic"

Home.