[ SHOWGSD-L ] Resources; Pedigree Cards and History

  • From: "Daphne Hereford" <Daphne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:22:34 -0500

Yes Evan I have the Ditan Pedigree Cards in the Museum. There are about 26,000
of the handwritten cards from the 1950s for GSDs. Some of these pedigrees I am
not sure AKC even has. If there is anything I can do to help with the project,
please just let me know.

I have attached one of the cards (I hope the picture isn’t too big) – for Odin
v Busecker Schloss, Ch, PH, ROM, Int. Ch. (German Sieger and U.S. Ch.) – note
the way Bob Ditmars listed the titles – behind the dog’s name so the cards
could all be filed alphabetically.

The hash marks on the cards indicated the number of times he (Bob Ditmars)
typed a pedigree for that dog – in this case he did 11 of them. Bob Ditmars was
a well-known breeder of Cocker Spaniels and everyone back in the day used his
pedigree service for GSDs because he had the best records of anyone.

Note he also indicates on the card there is an article in the Review September
1959 on page 43 about Odin. Dows anyone have that article – I used to but I
think it was taken some time ago.

We are in the process of finding a permanent public home for the Museum so
everyone can enjoy it.

Daphne Hereford

AKC Breeder of Merit

RIN TIN TIN Line Dogs