[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescue,please!!

  • From: jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx (Jean Mccann)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:43:12 -0500

     Well,today was quite a day....I drove to the small town of
Ossawatomie,Ks. to rescue a Bi-color GSD bitch,posted by Dawn,and Pat
Lukos,who was most likely a victim of the terrible flood they had there
in July. She was found wth one dead pup~~~no one knows if there were
others or what became of them. Her milk has still not completely dried
up. I drove up to the very small building out in a field that comprises
their "shelter". It is not air-conditioned and the dogs have no runs,but
are held in kennels. They beg for volunteers to walk the dogs. It was
over 95 degrees today and there were no shade trees around this
building. They brought her out and she was ecstatic to be OUTSIDE! She
also seemed to enjoy the soft bed I made in the crate I brought and the
cool air-conditioning of my van. The staff worker was so glad to see her
getting rescued,she didn't even wait for the rescue license number to
come through on the fax machine! She told me it is hard..that they
service several surrounding counties and they have such a small
facility,that with each new call they receive,that means at least one
(sometimes more)  have to "go down". Abby would have been next. NOW,the
SO sweet and happy to be petted and get outside to potty,and catch even
a hot breeze.  Inside the building several labs and lab-mixes,a boxer
pup,and two cats remain,unaware of their impending fate. It hurts me to
the very soul to know what will happen to them,when all they want is to
love someone. I did not go into the building,as I could not bear to see
them,but they brought the setter pup out to walk him/her and I cannot
get its' innocent puppy face  out of my mind......  As for Abby,she is
at the vet's right now,getting updated on all shots and so forth and has
no idea of the upswing her life has taken!  I urge you all to make a
spot to foster a life,or if you can't,to contribute to Dawn's fund
....what a difference it is making. Please think of these  "lost
souls",who have had no choice in this,and now they sit in a stifling
shed,waiting their turn to die.                   Jean :-(