[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rescue update....well, sort of....

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:47:08 -0800 (PST)

Just as many radio talk show hosts do a "The best of" when their life becomes
too insane...Well, my great stove quest this week has taken on a life of its
own..I will never understand how a stove that is marked 319$ ends up being 475$
or how much we really need those metal boxes that adorn our kitchen....my poor
brain is beyond kerflummoxed...(and YES...that is a word).
To that point, I thought I would share a true story of a rescue dogs flight to
freedom that I  had written awhile ago in honor of her passing. No words could
be more poignant as I sit here today, my computer literally SWAMPED with GSD's
in need. Please remember them in your thoughts and prayers....This is "Seeka's
Story"......Sleep well, sweet one...till we meet again.
"The dog house chain had grown heavy...it had been a constant companion
for as long as she could remember. The wood on her home had become worn
and silvered with time; matching the grey that had become so
predominant in her muzzle.
  Her arthritic body aching from the dampness that rose through the dog house
floor from the early spring ground.

All around her, the earth was coming alive. The once dormant trees
displayed the first signs of leaves and the air had taken on the sweet
smell of the crocus that found their way through the grass on the front
lawn of the house.
  They had named her Seeka...it was to be the
only thing that she was given by those who had taken her home a
lifetime ago; all wiggles and puppy kisses.. "We need a good watchdog", he had
said gruffly....and
watch she did....for ten long years... attached by her neck to a wooden
dog house.
  In the beginning, she would sit and gaze longingly
when they would walk past...in her best "Look at me! See, I can smile!"
pose...sometimes lifting a paw in a futile attempt to entertain and
perhaps gain their attention if only for a brief moment. She would
walk from side to side, dragging her chain and wagging her tail. She
found no reprieve...It was if she had become all but invisible, there
amidst the mud....and the flies...and for ten years
this noble German Shepherd lived a life that we would not consign a convict to.
  We will never know what made her owner decide to take her to the "shelter"
that day. Perhaps he felt that the old dogs
days of guarding were at an end, and she bore no more usefulness..
..her eyes had clouded over... her body was wracked with pain...her
aged heart straining with every beat.
  She was spied amidst the
mud, peeking out of the dog house she had been surrendered with...and
in that instant, she was reborn. For the next two months, Seeka
discovered what it was to be cherished..to be loved unconditionally
"just because". The memories of her days chained to her home fell away
with each hug...so many hugs....so much good food and clean
water....and she smiled that smile she had tried to use so many times
in her past life...but THIS time...this time, she was seen.
  They say that Guardian Angels walk the earth...I believe that Seeka would
have agreed...for she had met hers."

Hug your dog tonight.
The Members of Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.