[ SHOWGSD-L ] Registrations & AKC (long)

  • From: "fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:21:17 -0500

Hi Folks;
As I am just reading several days of list postings, I would like to add
something about the AKC and Registrations. First and foremost,
we must all remember that AKC is a register and that is where the money has
come from in the past, but since the 1990's when
the AKC inspections went into place to meet standards in the  " High Volume
Breeders". much has changed.

Puppy Mills that did not want to comply with these inspections and the DNA
requirement went off and set up there own registries.

This is were many of the 26 or so registries out there have come from and why
AKC registrations have declined in the following years.
Yes, we the fancy wanted this and this is the results. We also all screamed and
jumped up and down over the Petland incident, yours truly included.

But did you know that these puppies where going into the stores with AKC papers
from High Volume Breeders who had passed inspections and going out with papers
from some other registry? These other registries where offering payments to the
sales people at the Petland stores to substitute the AKC papers with papers
from these other registries.

WIth registrations declining AKC has to look at other options to recoup these
loses or they will go the way old standards that have disappeared. Do you know
how many people never register the dog you sold with AKC papers?

When we bred our Lab litter last year, all the pups where registered with AKC
before they left and on limited registrations expect the 2 show pups, so I know
that this way no pet owner would not bother to send the papers to AKC.

Is AKC prefect. no, but is there any other registry out there that you would
like to register your pups with and who puts on shows
like this? I do not think so, as a Delegate I have a big mouth and Dennis
Sprung and I have had our go around, but I would not want
to be part of any other registry when it comes to the sport.

Cathy
Kelstar

fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EarthLink Revolves Around You.