[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rawfeeding

  • From: "The Crystal Crow" <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:35:54 -0400

I feed Prey Model raw, and it is very easy-just thaw & hand them the meat.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned venison as a meat source. I get lots
of free venison from hunters that either can't use it all or from people
whom it was given to that don't know what to do with it. Eagle gets mostly
chicken, since he seems allergic to beef (as well as corn, wheat and rice).
He also enjoys venison and bear.
The only supplement I use is Fish Oil for the Omega 3's.

Regarding price, I've found that posting WANTED ads on Freecycle and
Craigslist works the best. During hunting season, ask for venison, and
during summer, ask if people are cleaning out their freezers. I have gotten
lots of free or nearly free meat for the dogs this way. When I purchase
outright, I can usually find specials for under 50 cents per pound. I also
add gizzards and liver-very inexpensive. Where a 40 lb bag of Natural
Balance costs $52.00 and fed my dogs for 3 weeks, I can buy enough meat to
feed them at about 2% their body weight for 2 months for that price.

About "gut preference"-I thought that predators generally went for the belly
first, especially after downing large prey. From what I understand, the
belly skin is the easiest to puncture with tooth and claw, so this is
what predators generally 'go for first' after a kill. Smaller prey may
differ, however, since more of the prey animal may fit into the predator's
mouth at one time.

Kristal

--
The Crystal Crow