[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rabies Challenge Fund News

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 18:51:53 EST

> Important news--please crosspost message. Please note that Dr. Schultz will
> be a speaker at the 2007 WCA National Specialty in Cranberry, PA on 5/21/07
> and at the Popcorn Cluster in Valparaiso IN on June 07, site of the WCA
> Central Futurity/Maturity, WCNI sponsor club. Liz Raiman

Subj: NEWS Update--Rabies Challenge Fund
Date: Monday, November 20, 2006 6:38:45 AM
From: LedgeSpring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings All!

      Some big news for The Rabies Challenge Fund Charitable Trust:
 thanks
to graphic designer, Andrea Brin, it now has its own website at
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ . ; If you read the text of the press
release below,
you'll see the other big news is that Dr. Ronald Schultz of the University of
Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine has volunteered his time to conduct the
5
and 7 year canine rabies challenge studies.  If you recall, Dr.
Schultz's research forms part of the scientific base for the American Animal
Hospital
Association's 2003 and 2006 Canine Vaccine Guidelines.  The December
2006/January
2007 (Vol. 8, Issue 6) Animal Wellness Magazine features an article by Ann
Brightman on the RCF entitled, How Often Does He REALLY Need a Rabies Shot?
   Since last year, Dr. W. Jean Dodds, of Hemopet and Co-Trustee of The
Rabies Challenge Fund Charitable Trust, and her staff have donated their time
ensure these vital studies are conducted for the benefit of our canine
companions.
    We hope you'll join us in this effort, too!

Regards,  Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
The Rabies Challenge Fund
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ ;

World-Famous Scientists Donate Services to

The Rabies Challenge Fund Charitable Trust

    Two world-renowned giants of veterinary vaccine research -- Dr. W. Jean
Dodds of Hemopet and Co-Trustee of The Rabies Challenge Fund and Dr. Ronald
Schultz of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine -- have
volunteered their time to ensure that critical 5 and 7 year rabies challenge
studies are conducted in the United States.  The studies are to be financed by
The
Rabies Challenge Fund Charitable Trust, a tax-exemption organization founded
by pet vaccine disclosure advocate Kris L. Christine of Maine in 2005, and will
be performed by Dr. Schultz at the University of Wisconsin.  The University
has waived its usual 48% overhead fee for these studies.

            The concurrent challenge studies will determine the
duration of
immunity conveyed by the canine rabies vaccine, with the goal of extending the
state-mandated interval for boosters to 5, and then to 7 years.  According to
Dr. Dodds, â??This is one of the most important projects in veterinary
medicine.
It will benefit all dogs by providing evidence that protection from rabies
vaccination lasts at least 5 years, thereby avoiding unnecessary revaccination
with its attendant risk of debilitating adverse reactions. "

Scientific data indicate that vaccinating dogs against rabies every three
years, as most states require, is unnecessary. Studies have shown the duration
of
protective immunity as measured by serum antibody titers against rabies virus
to persist for seven years post-vaccination, and results of a 1992 French
challenge study led by Michel Aubert demonstrated dogs were immune to rabies
five
years after vaccination.  Researchers believe the rabies vaccine causes the
most and worst adverse reactions in animals and concur that it should not be
given more often than is necessary to maintain immunity.  Adverse reactions to
rabies vaccination can include autoimmune diseases affecting the thyroid,
joints, blood, eyes, skin, kidney, liver, bowel and central nervous system;
anaphylactic shock; aggression; seizures; epilepsy; and fibrosarcomas at
injection
sites.

            Dr. Schultz states that â??[s]howing that a vaccine for
rabies can
provide 5 or preferably 7 years of immunity would have great significance not
only in controlling rabies but more importantly in reducing the adverse
vaccine reactions that can occur in dogs and cats after vaccination."

More information on The Rabies Challenge Fund and the concurrent 5 and 7 year
challenge studies it will finance can be found at the fundâ??s newly
established website designed by volunteer Andrea Brin at:
www.rabieschallengefund.org.

To date, the following breed clubs, along with many pet owners, trainers,
breeders, and kennel owners have contributed to The Rabies Challenge Fund:

Akita Club of America
American Shih Tzu Club
Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Nashoba Valley
Bernese Mountain Club of SE Wisconsin
Capital City Cocker Club
Chesapeake, Virginia Dog Fanciers Association
Collie Club of Georgia
Dog Agility Racing Team of Chino
Great River Stockdog Club
Heart of Minnesota Great Dane Club
Kennel Club of Buffalo
Kerry Blue Terrier Foundation
Kishwaukee Kennel Club
Kuvasz Fanciers of America
Lehigh Valley Kennel Club
Miniature Schnauzer Club of Southern California
Northern Illinois Schutzhund Club
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Club of Canada
Pacific NW Jack Russell Terrier Rescue Network
Soft-Coated Wheaton Terrier Club
Staffordshire Terrier Club of America
Standard Schnauzer Club of Southern California
Wachusett Kennel Club
Evergreen Empire Manchester Terrier Fanciers