[ SHOWGSD-L ] RESCUE update...

  • From: windwych@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:50:31 -0700 (PDT)

     "There's a ship out
        On the ocean
     At the mercy of the sea...
        Its been tossed about,
     Lost and broken
        Wandering aimlessly..
        And God somehow
    You know that ship is me...
    Cause there's a light house
        In the harbor
    Shining faithfully...
        Pouring its light out
    Across the water
    For this sinking soul to see...
That someone out there still believes in me."
(excerpt from Garth Brooks
 song,
"Till You Come Back To Me Again"....)
Last Hope, Safe Haven has been that lighthouse to more than 325 unwanted,
abused, or neglected German Shepherd Dogs. As I write this, travel plans are
being made for a terrified GSD who sits in agony in a Georgia shelter....his
ear's oozing; swollen with
hematoma's. Unbeknownst to him, his nightmare will soon be over when he boards
the transport that will whisk him to Angel Ridge in Pennsylvania where he will
receive the care
he so desperately needs. Jasmine will never know how close her time
was...instead of staring at the bleak walls of a shelter kennel, she waits
patiently now for her tummy rubs, enjoying the summer sun at Pat's.

These are just two of the many whose light would be forever extinguished
without the intervention of Rescue. The medical bills for even ONE dog can be
staggering, and Rescues are groaning under the weight of them. Kennels must be
updated, beds repaired or replaced,
 leashes, collars and bowls all need occasional refurbishing. Buildings require
sunscreens, a/c's or heat.... And yet, they continue to salvage the
unsalvageable. We at LHSH, are honored to be able to assist these Angels in
whatever way can.
We would like to thank all those who supported LHSH at the Bay State German
Shepherd Dog Club show on Saturday by purchasing items or raffle tickets. Thank
you to Pat Roda;
Snow Heron Studios photography for donating a portrait for our raffle.
Congratulations to Joanne Conboy who won that raffle. Thank you also, to Cindy
Miller for her donation of a lovely necklace/earring set and dog toy for us to
sell. The rain held off, making for a beautiful day and bringing in a tidy sum
to help needy GSDS!

We would also like to send out a special THANK YOU to a young man who went the
extra mile in his efforts to support the breed he loves. Jacob Bruner attends
the Anderson-Shiro Consolidated Junior/Senior HIgh school in Anderson, Texas.
Moved to action after seeing a TV campaign on abandoned animals, Jacob not only
decided to make a donation himself, but wanted to involve his school as well,
making it a service project! Last Hope, Safe Haven was honored to have been
chosen by this dedicated young man!
With encouragement by his Principal, Mr. Brandon Core, the project was assigned
to Jacob's 5th Grade English class, whose teacher Mrs. Ashley Cates worked with
him on a presentation that was given to the 5th Grade discussing LHSH.
It was decided to do a lollipop sale, and the 5th grade children sold lollipops
before and after school and during lunch to HS students. In 3 days, they
managed to raise a profit of 240$! I am sure that Jacob's Mom Sandy is proud of
him...WE are!

LHSH has another Angel in Amy Greenhut whose unflagging support at the Michigan
Specialty that was recently held in conjunction with the futurity, garnered
more than 400$ in donations!
LHSH  received a donation from the German Shepherd Dog Club of Beaumont Texas
in honor of Pete Sigona, recently deceased. Mr. Sigona was a long time member
of the GSD community and we were touched that they chose LHSH as the
beneficiary of their memorial donation.

Today brought two more purebred pups and one adult at Stark county pound in
Ohio, another purebred baby in Trumbull (a gassing facility) and Roxie hoping
to find a forever
home in a WVA Shelter.
Together with LHSH Volunteers,  Rescue and the consistent and unwavering
support from many on this list, the future for all of these sweet souls has
forever changed.

As your day draws to its close, and you watch your own dogs happily enjoying
their evening meal, please keep Sammy in your thoughts....a Senior GSD who was
an owner turn in, she now sits shivering and confused with pleading
eyes...looking for her family...in a Georgia kill facility. Her only hope is
Rescue. Paws crossed that they can reach her in time.
The Team from Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made
 to: