[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: REASONS - national herding

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rivendellj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pdragon4@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:50:38 -0700

THANK YOU Jennifer for your clear and concise explanation!!!    This helped a
lot of
us understand that there is ALWAYS a lot of work going on behind the scenes
that we
who "want it our way"  need to understand!!
It always seems so simple when you just drive up to watch.......or enter your
one dog in
any given Event once or twice.
Now we know not only does the Herding Committee ( much like the National Chair
Person )
have to deal with "site issues"  Travel issues, unhappy  Exhibitors and
handlers.....but
they also have to be concerned about  "Upright Breeds"   and.........   trucked
in C flocks
and  "CRANKY SHEEP"!!      Ya gotta love it!!    <G>
Thanks so much Jennifer!!    THANKS to a hard working, clear thinking, problem
solving
Herding Committee!

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: Pdragon4@xxxxxxx <Pdragon4@xxxxxxx>Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ]
   Re: screwy - national herdingTo: bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
dan-ann@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2008,
3:28 PM

  hi,

  i have asked the same question about herding being the weekend before
  everything else.  the herding people say that not as many people would  enter
  if it was in the middle of the week.  i think german shepherd people  would
still
  enter but, the people with other herding breeds probably  wouldn't. herding
  trials are expensive to put on so we need to fill all  the slots and if
shepherds
  don't fill them then we open the trials to other  breeds.  so it is probably
  true that there would  not be as many  entries in the middle of the week.

  lea ruggieri

  In a message dated 10/28/2008 12:48:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
  bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  I agree  with Lee and Julie totally about both herding and tracking. We
  have to  remember that AKC has to approve the sites before they'll
  approve the  trials. My only request is: does herding have to happen so
  far ahead  timewise from the rest of the national  events?

  Barb

  Pdragon4@xxxxxxx wrote:
  > hi  sally,
  >
  > julie degan explained it very well in that you  need sheep that have been >
worked in the
  c course & someone  experienced in doing the c course to set it  up, > and a
site that  can
  be laid out properly. and for a & b you need sheep  that >  have been worked
with dogs that
  herd like ours (not just border   collies).

  > in many instances people who own  flocks make the choice NOT to allow their
> sheep to
  travel to a  different site. we cannot force the owners to let us have  > the
 sheep.>
  > in this particular case (for beaumont) the  person nearby who had a site
for  > herding did
  not have enough  sheep for our herding trial or instinct test.

  > we  looked into transporting sheep from a further location to do a herding
> instinct test at
  ford park and found it was cost prohibitive.  >  > i cannot speak for others
but nanci & i believe
  strongly that herding is an > important event for the  national.  we have
worked very hard to
  make  sure it >  happens and at the best sites available.  you would not
believe the  time
  and > effort put in by everyone concerned to try and have herding  instinct
at  ford > park.
   it just couldn't happen this  year.

  > and as for tracking -- not just any open  field will  do. afterdiscussions
> with houston &
  beaumont  tracking people  (including several tracking judges) we > found
that all tracking
   is done at the  location we are using because it is  > the best site that
meets akc  requirements.
   the next  nearest place for tracking > was about the same  distance from
beaumont
   (approximately an hour) and would > not work as well as  the  site we are
using.  >
  > once again, nanci  and i work hard to make sure you all have the  best >
national  possible.
  we don't make poor choices to sabatoge any of the  events.  each > site
presents different
  challenges and problems --  and we  solve them the best > way possible.

  >  lea ruggieri
  > assistant show chairman
  >

  > In a message dated 10/28/2008 6:23:30 A.M. Central  Daylight Time,
  > dan-ann@xxxxxxxx writes:
  > and  bring  then in early so they would settle down.and there was a place
  to >  have  herding very close to the site > I also  heard there  was a place
for  tracking
  but it was taken to  Huston>  Sally