[ SHOWGSD-L ] REALLY Correcting breeding problems??

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx>, <domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:22:57 -0800

>>EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx writes:>>Question  when you outcross to correct do you
 use a dog that has >>the problem? Or do  you use a dog that is free of that
problem? If you use a >>dog free of the  problem how do you know if it was the
outcross or the fact that you used  two dogs that were free of the problem?
Fred  M
                      ************************************
>Hi Fred:  > .  For example, say you have a bitch from a litter with Mega and
>she
 herself, > appears to be okay..and  she is examined for Mega,  .and you want
 to outcross > her,  then first you have to find a  Stud dog with a pedigree
that
doesn't go
> back to Shepherds who have Mega, or comes from Mega affected  litters or have
> it in their bloodlines..thru Grandparents/siblings/cousins /Aunts and >
> Uncles....>
> Let's say the Stud dog you select doesn't have Mega and it is not in his
> bloodlines... There are no common Shepherds in 5 generations  which  the two
> potential partners share...
FIRST.....how do you find out about siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, gr.sons,
gr.
dams, gr. parents on one side and all their litters and litter mates, neices,
etc.????
How do you know some weren't lost early and there are no records???
While you're researching Mega.....are you also eliminating Elbow/ hip problems,
any
chance of epilepsy if the dog is under 3 yrs....pancreatic problems, bloat
problems,
( all of which are a painful problem because they show up later when placed in
homes )
what about missing teeth or poor temperament .... or just plain poor quality
not worth
 breeding your bitch to, but "cleared" of Mega for 5 generations....if thats
possible.....

And WHY would we want 5 generations of no common relatives unless the quality
and health issues were so bad we had to get away from it????
If they both carry the same gene for something.......you'll still get it in the
pups.
So many questions............so little time.............sigh........I have no
answer....

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
http://www.marhaven.com/bookerskids.htm