[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question about having a "kennel" (and how many dogs

  • From: "Paula M. Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 05:31:24 GMT

I couldn't agree with you more, Terry.  The last time I had to euthanize a dog
suffering from an expensively treatable, but curable, condition was in the
early 80's.  I was a single mother and broke, or near broke, with other
financial commitments.  I swore I would NEVER own another dog until I could
afford to care for, and feed them, in a manner acceptable to me and my own
conscience.  I sleep well at night nowadays, and maybe that is why my dreams
have come true?  :-)  :-)  Maybe that is why my vets drive really NICE cars??
:-)  :-)

In one of Grant Mann's (Liebestraum Kennels) last phone chats with me, after he
was retired and living in Iowa, he told me that one of his few regrets with
these great dogs we share our lives with, was that he kenneled so many of them
that they didn't get the one-on-one bonding that is inherently needed in them.
He said that the worse thing you can do with a GSD is nothing.  They deserve so
much more.  They are SO intelligent.  He warned me.  I thank him for opening my
eyes.

So, I grew to think that kennels suck and I haven't had kennel fencing anywhere
since 1985. Nor will I ever own any again.

Paula, 98 days and counting

Home of BIS, BISS, Multi-Group Winning, 2 Time AKC JAM/AOE, International
Champion, Canadian Champion (pending CKC confirmation), & American Silver Grand
Champion, Asgard Harley Davidson, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC #64047
(Original Version), 1st male GSD Grand Champion. 2010 #1 GSD in California,
Lifetime #1 GSD in Michigan, 2010 #1 GSD male in USA (AKC GCH Stats), 2011
Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Invitee, Lifetime AKC Eukanuba Invitee. 2 Time
Cruft's Invitee.