[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question? Information Needed

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, taragsds@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:17:32 EDT

As Kathy stated, you do need to make sure the fence is in good  repair.
Though, since the fence divides your properties, and they also have a
dog, they are equally responsible for making sure the fence will  contain
their dog.

I'd inspect the fence very carefully before letting any of your dogs  run
in the yard unsupervised, and see if there is some way you can tell
how the dog got in.  If he/she came over the top, you might want  to
add some additional height to make sure there isn't a repeat - or
even more seriously, a chance your own dogs may decide to go into
the neighbor's yard to continue the battle.

You said you aren't on great terms with your neighbors, so I would
suggest if you see them while you're out, saying something like
"Something got into my yard last night and was fighting with my
dogs.  It sounded like it went into your yard, could it have been
your dog?"   Mention your dogs had some injuries and you  want
to make sure nothing happens again.  Be concerned about their
dog, but DON'T APOLOGIZE.   You and your dogs didn't do anything
wrong - you just want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Their dog may have just been desperate for company, but once
a fight has broken out, you don't want a repeat.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Janice

In a message dated 6/2/2007 6:45:13 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:

In a  message dated 6/2/2007 1:50:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
taragsds@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
it did  manage to
get out...if  it is the neighbors dog, what do you think the  chances
will/would be  for it to try and venture back into my yard and what  if any
liabilities would I have if my dogs were to do any  damages?

Sounds like it has the wind scared out of it, so it probably won't  be  back.

As for your liability, that depends on the condition of  your fence.   Common
sense says if you have a fence and the dog  breaks into your yard, it's on
them BUT that theory goes out the  window if there was an area in disrepair
and
it was foreseeable that  something could happen.  You'd get into whose dog
dug,
who tore  up the fence etc., and if it was known to both parties or should
have been know that this was going on, what steps did you all take  to
correct
the problem. In that case, you "could" be liable for  some  damages.  It'd be
mess to prove though.  In any  event, walk the  whole fence today and see how
the darned dog got in  and fix it.  Maybe take  before and after pics too
since
it  doesn't sound like you have the Cleavers  living next door  <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit  www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

Janice  Buchanan
Wasatch-Gold German Shepherds
_http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/_ (http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/)

"If  our dogs were smarter, they could tell us what they were
thinking. If we  were smarter, they wouldn't need to."