[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pyometra and Vestibular Disease

  • From: Katie Halfen <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:02:26 -0500

Sorry to combine topics, but its easier for me to just send one email in
response to both topics.

Pyometra is not inherited, anyone who is a vet should know this!  I just
graduated in 2008, so I know the current curriculum well and no one is teaching
vets that this is hereditary.  There are 2 different types of pyometra, one is
called open pyometra-where you see discharge and drainage and can be treated
medically.  This usually means the bitch needs to be bred on the next heat
cycle to avoid another pyometra.  The other type of pyometra needs to be
operated on immediately-it involves a closed cervix with no drainage and puts
the bitch at risk of death.  The uterus can rupture open and fill the abdomen
with pus and infected material.  Once it ruptures, its almost always a death
sentence-it sets up peritonitus and makes the dog VERY sick.  There is no
medical treatment for that type of pyo, it is a medical emergency to get the
uterus out before it ruptures, to save the dog's life.  It is not a pretty site
to see a ruptured uterus.

Vestibular disease can cause the syptoms described-abnormal gait, weakness in
the hindend, etc.  The way this works is an inner ear infection sets up-usually
from a ruptured ear drum.  The nerves in the inner ear get affected and
inflamed and can cause head tilts, circling, etc.  It usually takes 3-4 months
to heal and solve the problem.  Degenerative Myelopath (DM) is not related and
could be another possible cause of the symptoms.  DM is a nerve degeneration
where the myelin sheath covering the nerves degenerates over time.  It is a
progressive disease that gets worse with time and not many treatment options.
It is a very difficult disease to watch a dog go through because the brain
tells the dog to go but the body doesn't cooperate.  Similar to MS in people.

Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/