[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Purebred dogs

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:06:13 -0800

I think everybody should read Diane's post two, no,  three or more times.  My
only added comment is:  Diane, the extreme ARs, the HSUS Vegans, the PETA
followers don't believe that mixed breed dogs are acceptable either.  The
divide and conquer that is being played out is to pit the well meaning rescue
people, those shelters who are doing a good job, against the breeders.  When
the breeders are gone, they will turn on the rescuers.  They, actually, are
doing it already according to some reports.  The Extreme ARs don't want any
animal to be used by humans, not for companionship, not for working, not for
eating or for clothes.  Vegan is not just a diet, but a way of life.

But the purebred dog is the target with which we are most familiar.  The
chickens, the pigs, the finches, the snakes are in their sights, believe it.

Stormy

On Dec 6, 2008, at 7:04:48 PM, "Diane Brantley" <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Let's face it, purebred dogs are now politically incorrect. The AR's believe
that mixed breed dogs and purebred dogs are interchangeable.  A dog is a dog
and so laws get passed that could lead to the extinction of purebred dogs.  AKC
is complaining about the decline in registrations.  They need to do some
serious PR.  The general public thinks that purebred dogs are useless froufrou
dogs with tons of medical problems.  AKC should have ads during all of the dog
shows shown on TV showing purebred dogs doing what they were originally bred to
do, hunting, herding, carting, guarding or what ever.  They also need to
showcase ethical breeders who test their breeding stock for genetic disorders.
The AKC also needs to do more to honor those breed champions with performance
titles.  Several years ago there was a show that only dogs with titles at both
ends could enter.

This Thanksgiving I had the misfortune of having to watch the Philadelphia Dog
show with people who were not dog people.  They spent the whole time making fun
of the dogs, but when football come on everyone had to be quiet.

Diane