[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy as a gift

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:55:11 EST

My son wanted a Border Collie puppy for YEARS.  Actually it was since  he was
2 years old....he'd play with my friends' BCs and always wanted to take  one
home. When he was 12, he got an AKC poster of puppies and circled the Border
Collie and wrote "Coolest Dog" next to it.  Now, don't get the wrong
impression, he LOVES our GSDs, but he also loves BCs and desperately wanted
"his  own
dog".  When he was 13, we "gave" him his Border Collie.  Almost a  year prior,
a friend told me about a litter she was planning that I knew would  have the
"right" puppy in it for my son.  The only thing is that the puppy  wasn't even
born for a week after he turned 13!  So, I went out and bought  a stuffed dog
that resembled a Border Collie, made up a nice certificate, rolled  it, and
tied it to a bow around the stuffed dog's neck.  The look on  Jim's face when
he got a STUFFED ANIMAL for his 13th birthday was  priceless.  I could tell
that he was TRYING to be polite but was a bit  horrified :-)  But then he
opened
up the certificate and read it....and  busted up in tears bawling like a baby,
which I then joined him!  Don't  anyone tell on me that I've shared this
story....he's now a cadet at West Point  and would "die" if he thought anyone
knew
he actually has tear ducts!   Anyway, a couple of weeks later, when the
puppies were about a week old, we went  on vacation to where the breeder was
and
visited for the first time.  When  they were 8 weeks old, Jim & I took a
roadtrip together and went to pick up  his puppy.  Jim & Radar adore each
other,
although he did classes  with Radar, tracked him, did a bit of flyball, and
showed
him in Juniors, over  the next couple of years, Jim lost interest in dog
events.  They still  love each other and have a special relationship (Radar
"talks" to Jim  via the computer SKYPE phone all the time!).  When Jim is home,
Radar is  HIS dog, although I took over training and showing Radar.

Anyway, I think "kids & dogs" are a great thing, but I agree with  Kathy that
I wouldn't "give" a live puppy, give a certificate.  It's just  as powerful
and the gift keeps on giving.  The anticipation is part of the  fun.

Julie Degen
_www.caissonkennels.com_ (http://www.caissonkennels.com)
Seoul, South Korea

In a message dated 20-Nov-08 4:36:23 Korea Standard Time,
Msg: #8  in digest
From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Looking For a PUPPY
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:34:29 -0600

Hi  Mo,  Kathy is right as I've done similar things for years when I had a
litter
that wouldn't quite be ready when the new owner wanted it for  something of
a special nature.  I'd especially insist upon folks  waiting until after
Christmas.
Under the tree, there'd be, as Kathy  informs us in her note, all that is
needed
so preparations can be made  at a time when the holiday stress & all that we
go through would be  over and the household would be back to normal.
Yes, a dog as a gift needs  to have the recipient prepared for the future
with
this additional life  in the family.     Norma no L ( And, in this case, one
from
the family to stay in the family).