[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy With Bad Limp

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 15:24:23 -0700 (PDT)

I had a very similar experience with a pup years ago with almost the same
symptoms even had him xrayed around 7/8 months and sent to OFA.  Came back good
hips, normal elbows, vet excused as pano, seemed to be doing better, gave him
meds, sent him home and said he would be fine to play but may still limp here
and there, and for them not to worry and no need to limit his exercise.  About
1 MONTH later, after OFA xrays, symptoms came back but seemed to be getting
worse with his one foot turning more.  Xrayed AGAIN, and they  changed
drasticlly, bone spur on his left elbow, vet said he had elbow dysplasia.
Contacted OFA, sent them new xrays, they said he was normal,he does NOT
have elbow dysplasia and they see bone spurs in other breeds,and he is NOT
dysplastic.  Sent to OVC, they said he WAS dysplastic in his elbow., and had no
explanation of the drastic change in the xray in a matter of only a few weeks
time. Univ of Penn, said he needed
 surgery to  remove it.  His owners opted for the surgery, and he has been fine
since.  So the question is was it just pano, an injury not diagnosed and
treated properly, or was it elbow dysplasia?  To dio it again, I would have had
his owners do alot of things differently, since to this day I have no clue what
really caused it siunce if it was an injury maybe he should have rested, or
maybe it may have happened either way.

That said, I'd be careful with your boy don;t push him, and you may need to
xray wa few times just to "make sure" there are no changes over time.

Ann Marie
www.amarigsd.com
Home of
Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Major pointed/Best in Show Bred-By winner)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch pointed)
Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months/Major Reserve @ 11 months)