[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Proud Breeder of therapy dogs

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:48:44 -0700

I love therapy work with my GSDs too. I had many great memories taking my
late "Lily" to the nursing homes. The sad part was the people would want me
to make a promise when I was coming back which made me feel good but I hated
to always make that promise in case I couldn't make it that day/week. One
time I was visiting my mother-in-law, Dorothy in a nursing home with my now
very old girl of thirteen, "Lily." Dorothy, at that time had an extremely
old roommate of about 90 if not more. The 90 year old lady was lying down in
her bed when we came in to visit mom. I could tell when she saw "Lily" she
was interested but stayed quiet to herself. As we talked for about 15
minutes or so with mom I saw the old lady finally drop her hand by her
bedside. She then motioned Lily to come to her. I gave Lily the okay. Lily
went willing & sat quietly by her bedside. Then the old lady took her hair
brush off of her night stand & started to brush the top of Lily's head &
then went down by her neck & chest. All of this time not saying a word. The
look on her face was of complete joy. I finally said to the old lady, "Oh,
you'll have dog hair in your brush now." And she replied back, "I don't
care. It's the same color anyhow & I will not know the difference." And then
she thanked me for letting "Lily" come to her. You could just see the
comfort my "Lily" gave the old lady that day. It's one of the best feelings
ever to be able to do that for someone. Especially if they loved & had
animals in their life time & can't have them now. ..."Lily" lived to be a
few months over 14 years of age. I was blessed to have her in my life.

In memory of: WGSDCA  GVX/Sel. JoKay's Porcelain China Doll, CD, CGC, TDI,
TT, GSDCA 13 Club "Lily"

Koda's Kathy