[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Press Release re GSDs having DNA testing available for DM

  • From: "Cherri Pursell" <eastgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Seth McMullen" <mcmuse@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:39:44 -0500

I wanted to clarify something with this announcement as the announcement
really doesnt "spell it out".....basically Dr Clemmens feels he has found a
DNA marker in affected GSDs.....he is very certian but looking of course
for more samples to be positive....he is very sure.....I cannot wait for
the publication of his work and am amazed that he was able to do this in
the time he has been researching this disease.....the stem cell research
will go on I believe as a possible treatment situation....so there are two
subjects in the announcement basically.....1. Dr C wants samples from
affected dogs to clarify his findings (the DNA marker) (Yiiiiippppeeee!!!
wow!!) and 2. Dr C still needs our support with donations to try to
research a treatment....

With the finding of a DNA marker comes the ability to test our stock of
course for the presence of the gene/s <VBS>  It also provides a clue to
causation and treatment :)

Here is Marj's page about donations for Dr C and information on test
samples etc...

http://www.mzjf.com/dmdonation.htm

Its a very happy holiday season for Marj......

Cherri Pursell
eastgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thom's GSDs NJ
www.eastgsd.com

The
> >first appointment is to make sure of the Dx and to collect the bone
marrow.
> >The bone marrow stem cells will be cultured and, if all goes well, then
> >replaced in the patient (but in the CSF space) in about 3 weeks. He will
> >then have to monitor and see how thing go. Some of this will be just
> >observation, but EMG data will help determine if he has changed things.
So,