[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pre-Labour temps

  • From: Stephen Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VSabiaB@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:57:19 -0800 (PST)

"My question is does their temperature go
down and then back up in pre labor? Kelsey's temp was 98 then 99 now
100. "

All 3 of the bitches we've bred have had their temps do this, for a
day or two prior to the onset of hard labour.  Our vet told us the
rule of thumb is that when the temp holds at something  <100 (doesn't
go over 100, but can vary at values <100) look for hard labour to
start within 12-24 hours.  How's that for a range of non-specific
values???

Our last litter was whelped Friday, 12/17.  If this will help, these
were the temperature readings:

12/13    10:15 AM     101.1
12/14    12:40 PM     100.5
12/14    21:30 PM     101.2
12/15    10:00 AM     100.0
12/15    21:00 PM     101.6
12/16    12:35 PM      99.8
12/16    17:15 PM      98.7

Labour started about 23:45, and the first pup arrived at 12:05 AM on
12/17.  This was this girl's first litter.  The +1.6 degree spike at
21:00 on 12/16 was similar to what happened with our other two
bitches about 24 hours before whelping.  I Don't know if this is a
reliable Predictor; I've never seen anything written up about it.

Good luck!  Let me know how things turn out.

Steve

=====
Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com