[ SHOWGSD-L ] Posted for Diane Strasser<>Re: Filling a need

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 16:56:47 -0700

Diane is getting her computer healthy....
Storm

On Jul 3, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx wrote:

As some of you may or may not know, I lost my baby girl, Divot, who
was bred by and co-owned with Karen Hynek, on June 15th; after a short
but miserable battle with what turned out to be pancreatic cancer, I
had to let her go to the Bridge.  She was only seven.  Divot was so
precious to me on many fronts but she was also my last connection to
my Skater.  To make the whole thing even more hideous, my dad had
died, exactly 30 years before to the day, on June 15, 1981, of
pancreatic cancer.

The last 2 ½ weeks are the only time since I was born that I have been
without a German Shepherd.  On top of mourning Divot?s passing,  I
have been completely lost and felt as if I were without purpose.  This
was not a normal or complete life for me.  Sandy Anderson, my friend
who I have known now for decades,  immediately offered me a dog - she
understood completely what I was feeling and the void in my life.  We
were trying to figure out the logistics of getting a dog from
Vancouver to Northern CA in this horrendously hot weather.  In the
meanwhile, I had to go to Lois Gregor?s yesterday to pick up boxes of
Reviews that Vivian brown and Liz Leschhorn had sent up here so  I
would be able to auction them off for Last Hope, Safe Haven.  While I
was at Lois?s, I asked if I could spend some time with Bounder.  Along
with Lois and M. Lynch, I co-bred Bounder and, thankfully, he had
spent the last 3 years with Lois, loved and adored by her and her
entire family.  His Championship was the one that gave CH Woodside?s
The Bounty Hunter his ROM.  Bounder is a special boy.  Lois?s answer
to me yesterday was to bathe Bounder, do his nails and hand him to me
on lead ? telling me to take him home, love him and make him my new
special and most cherished GSD friend.

Bounder is laying at my feet as I write this.  He is an amazing dog
with a heart of gold, the temperament of the most judicious angel and
the personality of a fun-loving clown.  The crowning glory is his
connection to my beautiful Divot.  This is, literally, a match made in
heaven.  I know there is now a hole in Lois?s heart and her generosity
and empathy overwhelms me.

We often talk about all the evil goings-on in the world of dogs and,
to be sure, they do exist.  But, I am so fortunate to have friends
like Lois and Sandy whose own hearts are also so taken with these
amazing dogs that they, WITHOUT HESITATION, did the one thing they
knew and understood would help mend the hole in my heart.  I still
miss my Divot terribly but Bounder?s beautiful, soulful eyes and his
ever-present paw on my lap make me understand that Divot and those who
came before her will be waiting for me and I will see them again.
Bounder has given me a comfort that couldn?t have come from anyone but
a German Shepherd.  Through my tears I see that I am so blessed; from
the bottom of my heart, thank you to Sandy, Lois and all the other
true dog people out there who truly care about both their friends and
this magnificent breed.
Diane

Diane Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
Skatiebug'z The online store for everything German Shepherd and then
some!
http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com Skater's Blog