[ SHOWGSD-L ] Post Traumatic Aggressive Behavior

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:07:17 -0400

My nearly 5 yr old intact male, Jack, was torn up a couple weekends ago by the
neighbor's 2 pit
mixes.  Dogs on both sides of the fence had exchanged unpleasantries, then one
grabbed Jack by the
head & hauled his head thru the fence.  (There are really large squares in the
fence.)
Soon pit mix #2 joined in.

I saw the entire thing, starting with the barking, I was in the process of
yelling to Jack to knock
it off (the barking) when he was jumped.  I was off the deck & across the yard
in a flash, beating on
these dogs to get them to let go of my boy!  I wasn't too effective, they just
DO NOT let go! :-(
Jack lost part of an ear and suffered numerous punctures & rips, which are
healing up now. (Stitches
out this coming week!)

Anyway...
The other day I was at the vet's office, on the way in we passed a woman
carrying her antique, red,
long hair Dachshund.  Jack kind of sniffed the lady's knee, tilted his head up
& sniffed the dog &
then snapped at its tail! I don't know if the lady or her dog noticed... they
kept on walking without
comment or turning towards us.

This is NOT normal behavior for Jack! He has always been a laid back, easy
going, mellow boy.  Safe
with dogs & puppies, big dogs, little dogs, old dogs, young dogs, cats, kids...
everyone!  I can't
recall ever seeing him act nippy, snappy or hostile toward any animal or person
(other than these
neighbor dogs).  He rarely barks, can sit/ride in the car & not bark at people
or dogs... he's just
been a wonderful dog!

Is this the behavior I can expect from him now that he's been mauled? I TOTALLY
understand that he's
gun-shy of those 2 dogs... but old Dachshunds don't much resemble pit mixes to
me...
I'd prepared myself for a different physical Jack but didn't even consider that
Jack's mental
attitude would change.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything I can do to halt this new
behavior? I suppose the
Dachshund incident could have no relation at all to the pit mix incident, but
if I'm going to err, I
think I should go with the thought that it IS related.
Maybe it'd help Jack to get into some puppy type socialization classes?
Obviously I don't want him
traumatising some other dog... I really haven't a clue what I can do to help
him thru this.
I want *my* Jack back!

There is now a 15 foot gap between fences on the 2 properties... and I'm
planning for solid privacy
fencing later this summer, pending cash flow ;-)

Suggestions please!!

Diane