[ SHOWGSD-L ] Please note...German Shepherds are on the list to be included here...

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:22:51 -0400

After being offline for almost two weeks, I had a few interesting emails in
the morass of mail that was awaiting me.
One was this post from an international judge of Pekingese...and while
people on this list may not be interested
in Pekes, please note...German Shepherds are on the list to be impacted by
this latest nonsense.

Peggy

Just thought you’d like to know all the latest in the Pekingese world in the
UK---please read the revised standard that was released today---Pekingese
now with a muzzle!!!!
The entire Pekingese world is in a turmoil over this---and many think it is
PETA who is behind it all...
From The Times

October 8, 2008

Kennel Club changes breeding rules to end cruelty

Pekingese will be the first breed to be subjected to the new regime

Valerie Elliott, Consumer Editor

A review of breeding standards for every pedigree dog species in Britain is
under way by the Kennel Club
<http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2089/23/5/3> in an attempt to
introduce kinder rearing for pets and showdogs.
The tough approach was signalled when breeders of pekinese were told
yesterday that the dogs’ flat faces were no longer acceptable because they
cause breathing problems. The problem has arisen because the muzzle has
become obsolete through breeding and the flesh that would have naturally
covered the dog’s muzzle is instead in its throat. Other breeds to face
scrutiny will include the Clumber spaniel, bloodhound, bulldog, mastiff,
German shepherd, basset hound and St Bernard.
Incestuous inbreeding of dogs – sons with their mothers and half siblings
with each other – is also to be tackled.
The governing body has been stung into action after controversy that
breeding rules to qualify for Crufts encouraged deformities and disease in
the animals. New rules, covering 209 breeds, are to be in place by the end
of the year and will be used to judge dogs competing in next year’s Crufts,
the biggest dog show in the world, which is organised by the Kennel Club.
Related Links
  a.. Dogs Trust joins Crufts boycott over breeding
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4769813.ece>

  b.. RSPCA quits Crufts over 'disabled' dogs
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4761471.ece>

  Breed judges are to be trained to choose only the healthiest dogs as
prizewinners and champions at the show and its qualifying heats.

  Hilary Benn, the Rural Affairs Secretary, has also been asked by the club
to rush new regulations through Parliament to give it powers to take action
against breeders who fail to make canine health a top priority. These would
also ban breeders who failed to comply with club health standards from
selling puppies.

  A recent BBC documentary highlighted the genetic side-effects of unhealthy
breeding programmes. There was a furore when the programme revealed that a
flat-faced pekinese, winner of Best in Show in 2003, had undergone surgery –
a soft palate resection – to enable it to breathe. Future TV coverage of
Crufts is under threat and some leading animal welfare charities, including
the RSPCA and the Dogs’ Trust, have severed their links with the show.

  The new rules on pekingese, which come into force immediately, have put
the club on a collision course with breeding societies. Barry Offiler,
chairman of the 104-year-old Pekingese Club, accused the club of a panic
reaction. “If it’s got a muzzle it won’t be a pekingese, and if we have to
breed dogs with a muzzle which breed do we cross with them?” he said. “We
are talking about a breed that is popular worldwide. This will prevent us
showing dogs abroad and will stop overseas competitors entering Crufts. We
all support improved health, but we don’t know what damage the muzzle might
give to the breed.”

  It may take three to five years before the new generation of pekinese will
show the pronounced muzzles that were common in the 19th century, when the
dogs were favourite companions of the aristocracy.

  Caroline Kisko, secretary of the Kennel Club, played down fears over
future breeding.

  She admitted the shake-up in breeding rules was in response to public
opinion that more needed to be done.

  Ms Kisko said: “Our new breed health plans will enable us to ensure that
the health of every dog is a number one priority and we are taking a tougher
line with breed clubs by adjusting those breed standards that fail to
promote good health.”

  Nicky Paul, president of the British Veterinary Association, said that she
supported the Kennel Club’s action. “What is particularly important is that
the judges have clear instructions now that only the healthiest dogs can be
rewarded.”

  Beverley Cuddy, editor of Dogs Today magazine and a longstanding critic of
the Kennel Club, said: “At last this is a sign that things are moving. But I
don’t want this to be just a bit of lipstick to make Crufts look acceptable.
If it were me, my first change would be to tackle inbreeding and let people
know the family history of dogs before they are bought as pets.”

  The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said that it would
meet the Kennel Club soon to discuss breeding standards.

  Peke performance

  Old rules head large, skull broad. Nose short and broad. Wrinkle,
continuous or broken, should extend from the cheeks to the bridge of the
nose. Muzzle wide with firm underjaw. Profile flat with nose well up between
eyes. Eyes large. Short body heavier in front than rear. Coat long, with
profuse mane extending beyond shoulders

  New rules head fairly large. Skull moderately broad. Nose not too short.
Slight wrinkle may extend from the cheeks to the bridge of the nose. Muzzle
must be evident, but may be relatively short and wide. Eyes not too large.
Relatively short body. Coat moderately long, with mane not extending beyond
shoulders.

  Source: The Kennel Club <http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/>