[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pillars of the Breed...............

  • From: Acara1997@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:57:21 EDT

Over the past several weeks, there appears to have been an abundance of posts
that carry what I would consider, a very negative and potentially damaging
message.  Please do not confuse my comments with many of the posts or topics
that provide a healthy collaboration of individual viewpoints, information
sharing, history, etc., etc.  I am specifically referring to those posts that
are
personally directed, mean spirited, thinly veiled advertising and convey
political posturing.  Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, along
comes this
beam of sunshine with a sincere, thoughtful and positive message that clearly
focuses the perspective and essence of sportsmanship.
Pillars of the breed lead by example�������time to get in line!

Jane, thank you for sharing your wisdom!

With best regards,
Randy & Cathy Darnell
Acara

In a message dated 4/5/2006 3:34:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Msg: #1 in digest
From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Thank you.......
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:23:47 -0500

...............thank you, Norma, for appreciating our "thank you" to Kent
Boyles in the February issue of the Review.
Especially, I love your critique of Kent "in motion". We estimate that he is
trotting at a speed of about 15 miles per hour.

We were delighted with the picture also............and wanted everyone to
enjoy it with us.

Miguel Betancourt is the talented photographer.

This seems like the right time to thank you to you .............and to all
the dedicated breeders, exhibitors, judges, handlers and owners who are
participating, and have participated through the years, in the sport of pure
bred dogs.

As individuals and breeders, I, like you, know the pain and sorrow of burying
a dear German Shepherd friend, digging a grave under a tree, with tears
streaming down my faces.........or holding a still born puppy, cradled in my
hands,
with tears and disappointment welling up in my eyes. Who of us has not driven
home from our veterinarians clinic, leaving behind us cherished hopes, now
shattered like shards of glass around our feet............leaving behind a dog
we loved and who loved us.....with the tears again, spilling over, wet on our
cheeks.

Many of us echo the sentiments of Sir Walter Scott, who once remarked:
"Recollected that the Almighty, who gave us the dog to be companion of our
pleasures and our toils, hath invested him with a nature noble and incapable of
deceit."

So then, there are some who have given up this matter of "giving our hearts
to a dog to tear"........choosing instead an easier path to follow.

I am deeply grateful to all those individuals who have met the continuing
challenges, year after year, with a vision for our German Shepherd Dog.......
with a passion in their hearts to contribute to what Reittmeister Max von
Stephanitz began in 1899.

I admire you.

So, thank you to all of you, who have driven miles of interstate highway and
flown more air miles than you care to remember, with your beautiful animals,
dragging crates from vans and motel rooms and back: thank you to those of you
who have instructed, judged and exhibited in wind, rain and cold and heat,
sometimes working at seemingly thankless jobs: to those of you who have
contributed time and money as show secretaries, ring stewards, club board
members, news
letter editors, historians and all around handy men, struggling with the
myriad of tasks so necessary:
..........to all of you who have given unwearied service...............and
for knowing what the work was........and doing it.

I want you to know that you have my respect.

I know you do it all as a labor of love. So I share with you some of your
dreams and accomplishments, some of your joys and some of your tears, your
victories both small and great............with the heartfelt prayer that your
efforts will redound to the service of our breed.

I celebrate your steadfastness and your devotion.
There are some who lack the steadfastness to continue and so fall by the
wayside. They have forgotten the admonition to:
Never,never,never give up.

I want you all to know that I realize how significant you are........to
me............and, most of all, to the German Shepherd dog, whom we all hold
mutually dear.

Jane Kerner