[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pillar, schmillers

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 20:15:13 +0000

EXACTLY!  To me the 'pillars" of the breed are the ones who DON'T consider
themselves pillars!   They are the ones who still call themselves 'students of
the breed' after 30 plus years of experience - not 1 year of experience 30
times.  People who learn from every litter they produce, who study pedigrees,
and know the 'clicks' that produce not only winners but sound dogs who become
the producers of our next generation.  They are the folks you see testing their
breeding stock for genertic problems when those tests are available and don't
wait for them to become 'required'.  They are the ones who are out proving
their dogs can still do the job for which the breed was developed!  They are
the ones who love MY breed because its THEIR breed.    They are the ones
willing to share that knowledge with someone who WANTS that knowledge - not
just someone who gives it lip service then brags about going off and doing it
'their way' and not being successful.
Do I have pillars in mind?  You betcha!  Barbara Amidon and Fred Migliore are
two that come to mind instantly.  I've learned so much from both of them and
one of them doesn't even know it! LOL   I've had long talks with Fred about
this breed but just as important I've sat a tables and seats during Nationals
and LISTENED to Barbara talk.   Amazing lady!!  Are there others?  YES.  Just
making the above comments becasue new folks have to understand that education
can come in more than one form!  Oh and you learn more from listening than
talking!!!

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Cookie HT RN TC CGC, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RN TC
CGC, Ch Flash, Mousser (10 points/1 mjr), and Lil' Miss Gilli! Website updated
01/06

From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>