[ SHOWGSD-L ] 'Piddly Damn' WDA & other stuff

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx>, <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 10:17:51 -0800

This is why I am often so verbal and frustrated about the Club going
backwards by wasting time and effort on Long Coat Classes...White dogs
coming back into the fold... and now Amateur Futurities taking up so
much time at the National...and still fussing about compensating them
just for being 'amateur' entries.
To quote a great recent phrase...who gives a "piddly damn" about all
that stuff that does NOTHING to move our great Breed FORWARD!!
If the WDA has a Board that treats members like second class citizens
by not keeping them informed from the top....WE should be making every
effort to encourage these people to come under the 'umbrella of the
GSDCA, Inc.  THAT is where the time and efforts from our Parent Club
should be spent.   We need to get our priorities STRAIGHT!!

WHY are we so consumed with a DQ receiving a major Obed. Award at our
National and adding an extra PUPPY Class.. FOR A FAULT,  at our National
and even lifting a DQ..for no sensible reason,  yet,  not giving the
WORKING DOG TITLES AND Competition any consideration??
I don't get it....
A WORKING DOG IS A PART OF OUR STANDARD...IT IS NOT A FAULT!!  WHY are we
not doing everything possible to encourage these WDA people to become
members of the GSDCA, Inc. and offer them something at our National for
Awards and recognition?  The working MEMBERS might be willing to join us
and participate if we develop a way to recognize them within the GSDCA, Inc.

Just look at what has happened as Herding is now such an important part
of the Venue in the last 10 years  It is BIG AT OUR NATIONAL NOW!!  It is
now
common for many of our show dogs..Champions & Grand Victors to earn herding
titles...because of effort and work to develop Trials at our Nationals.
WHY oh WHY have we not put the same kind of effort into developing WORKING
DOG participation along with our National..and actually AWARDING THEIR
EFFORTS
at OUR NATIONAL!  (..are we possibly too busy working WITH faults? )
We need to WOO these people under the GSDCA, Inc. umbrella and just let the
WDA Org. itself sail off into the sunset with Mr. Yee at the helm.
As David Fritsche so eloquently stated below...are we going to LEAD...or
follow or just get out of the way?

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of ELG440@xxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:17 AM
Subject: It is time

I am not sure if everyone is aware that Scutzhund U.S.A. declared they
would no longer accept the score sheets from the WDA.  The SV wrote a great

letter to them  telling them if they did not accept the score sheets, then
they would be removed from the SV.  We the GSDCA were the first club in the

United States to be the member club of the SV.  Then against their own
charter, they allowed another club, Sch.U.S.A.
I know the SV supports the GSDCA. I have no idea where the WDA stands in
this situation.  All I know is the WDA asked each year for donations to
allow them to enter the world trials, and we, the GSDCA and private
individuals
donated.  They never supported the GSDCA in words or actions.

It is time to stop being the whipping boy for the WDA and to cut free, and
wish them well.  They elected their officers and they continue to scorn the
 GSDCA.
Frank has now told us a great example. It is time to move on. We brought
them into the world, and we can take them out.

Oh, wait, that is what my parents always told me.
Evan

terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx writes:
If the  WDA wants to go in a different direction and that is more in line
with the  World Union then let them. What has a membership in the World
union
done for  us?

To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:Re: Constant Contact from Frank

the WDA severs no purpose for the GSDCA. We are not a world organization we
are an American
Specialty club and should concentrate on that. We have a standard that we
are proud of and
should uphold. If the WDA wants to go in a different direction and that is
more in line
with the World Union then let them. What has a membership in the World union
done for us?
I am just asking here
Terry

________________________________
 From: David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Constant Contact from Frank

I agree with you, Evan.  I think it is time to wash our hands of them, and
good riddance!
We have gone way overboard in trying to cooperate.  Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
________________________________

If my memory serves me right, and that is increasingly doubtful as time goes
by, the creation of the WDA, which did not exist, was an act of the GSDCA to
support those involved in Schutzhund trials. This was necessitated by AKC
rejection of bit work. If AKC has changed its position and will now accept
Schutzhund trials, is it possible that the WDA may not hold Schutzhund
trials within the AKC framework in that they are not an AKC club?

The other issues are that the USCA has taken bold steps to be the WUSV
representative of the GSD in America, replacing the GSDCA. We have a seat
and thy have a seat. They want to have one seat held by them (USCA). The
USCA has not been friends with the WDA, at one point not long ago, issuing a
mandate to their members that they could not belong to both clubs. So we
have conflict between the USCA, and WDA and GSDCA and SV and....

Is it possible that our attempts to be supportive of everyone and everything
has undermined our representation of the GSD as a total dog and has left us
scrambling to fit into everyone's agenda? We had to be supportive of the
World Trials in the USA, for we are the representative of the breed in the
USA... But alas, we have discovered that we are not honored as such by USCA,
or the WDA. We are only a means to an end for them and are still seen,
possibly as the little sister with our weak and unsound show dogs. What we
do hold is our set in the world of GSD's and we are the national breed club
to AKC, with of course, a bank account.

One way to negotiate this is to try to make peace with everyone involved and
see that the USCA is happy with their sharing of representation of the GSD
in the USA on the world stage, and see that the WDA is happy with our having
foot the bill for the World Trials without their having to come up with any
significant share.

The other way is to take a bold step backwards and represent the GSD is all
trials, in all venues and in the USA as the only AKC parent club. Maybe
there are many in both the USCA and WDA who are tired of the gamesmanship
also who would like to see one united representation and one all-inclusive
club.

I remember the SV telling us how to write our standard. I remember the USCA
excluding all other breeds so they could be a GSD only club, and move to be
the USA representative of the breed. I remember problems and tensions and
frankly, I tire of it. Let's forget what the SV wants, what the USCA wants
and what the WDA wants and do what is best for the breed - boldly, kindly,
but without reservation or weakness. I vote for - lead, follow or get out of
the way! We are the GSDCA and that is something worth honoring and fighting
for!

Just some initial reactions.
Dave

http://showgsd.org/mail.html