[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pica

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 07:14:04 -0500

Does anyone have any firsthand information on pica?  This is just for me to
learn.  I bought a dog who was shipped in to Raleigh a few months ago; she ate
about one third of her crate cover.  At the time, I didn’t think much about
it—I thought she was probably stressed from the flight.  Her pasterns were
also down; any connection?  Her temperament was excellent—she didn’t seem
to be a nervous type at all.  It became abundantly apparent that we could not
place a crate mat, towel or ANYTHING in her crate at night while she slept as
she would eat it.  She ate small cat toys—those little plastic balls, little
cotton mice, etc.  Compulsive or so it seemed.  Does anybody have any info on
this?  (This isn’t the same thing as senior dogs digging and eating dirt in
their old age.  I’ve had 3 seniors do this; this particular puppy did NOT eat
dirt.)
Da List is da best.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever