[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pet Expo info...meet the Breeds

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD-List List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:45:29 -0700

Pet Expo wants to come to Washington State.  I know several people who
have taken booths at recent Pet Expos in Orange Co. CA, and have been
amazed at the public attendance.  Lots of chances for a group to have
a meet the breeds booth AND a chance to have a booth for Public
Education of all types.  (heh, heh... legislation education, too).
Read what John has to say, check out the video and the website.
Stormy Hope
GSDCA Legislation Liaison
CaRPOC VP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 From John Bowen:

One of the ways we can and do help our case is to spread the true word
about the dog fancy and the truth we know of our opponents. AKC has
some new rules that help those with unregistered purebreds and mixed
breeds to be able to co-mingle with us at dog shows -the Canine
partners program. And dog show tours are great at helping "civilians"
understand the grading system.
Perhaps the best situation for learning the breeds part is
participating in a "Meet the breeds" situation with enough breeds
participating to draw lots of "interested civilians" for education,
including political education slipped in among the handouts and
comments.
I have been involved for 21 years in such an event. It is called
America's Family Pet Expo and over 30 have been produced in
California(27) and Michigan(4). Now we want to help the pet owners and
dog fanciers of the State of Washington. And believe it or not, the
funds come from a Pet Industry organization, non-profit, just like AKC
and dog clubs. Dog breed exhibitors get a heck of a deal, and to date,
this organization has contributed over $1 Million to the exhibiting of
the breeds.
Washington seems to be a different situation. We produced a video, and
mailed it to all the AKC listed clubs in the state. I have made
several trips to dog shows and spoken with many exhibitors of breeds
and members of clubs. Yet, we have a handful of breeds signed up at
this time, for the event scheduled July 8-10, 2011 at the famous
Puyallup Fairgrounds, just south of Tacoma. We will be using the same
building they have the dog shows in for the dog breed exhibits.
Usually more breeds have expressed an interest by now
I am beginning to wonder if the real club deciders even got to see the
video.
So, to give all you on this list an idea of the scope of the project,
and to aske you to forward the link to any and all friends you have in
dogs in Washington state, here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxqgc5dnps
www.afpe.net
And only real breeds -history, standard, national club, with clubs in
other countries are wanted.
There are no restrictions on literature. You cannot sell dogs, but you
can sure make contacts.
There is no other opportunity like this.
Sincerely,
John Bowen