[ SHOWGSD-L ] Passing.

  • From: "Carrie & Oak Smith" <oakridgegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 11:14:28 -0600

It is with extreme sadness that I tell you about CH Oak Ridge Colorado
Moonlight. Yesterday at the age of 8, Luna passed away. She was the daughter
of our ROM bitch Kaimacha Innuendo. Luna was a late bloomer, getting her
championship just two and a half years ago with back to back majors. She had
retired from the show ring after getting singled out and then winning more
major reserves than any dog we have ever owned. I once thought about making
a vest from all the reserve ribbons she had won. Finally, just three weeks
before the February show I decided to let her show and she finished that
week-end.  Sadly Luna was conceived before DM dna testing, and lo and
behold, when we tested the kennel both her and her brother CH. Oak Ridge
Lunar Shadow "Josh",  tested as "at risk". Only two dogs in our kennel that
did, and sure enough both Luna and Josh have come down with DM.
Fortunately, the only dogs that either Josh or Luna bred to were DM clear,
so none of their offspring are at risk.   To watch Luna go down with this
terrible disease was heartbreaking and I empathize and sympathize with all
others who have had this happen. Because of our experiences Carrie and I,
while understanding that the dna test is not conclusive, will nevertheless
know the dna results of this test on any dog we breed in the future. It is
only in this way, by building a database of experience, can we know
conclusively whether the test is an accurate tool for breeding or not.
Luna was a smart, happy individual who loved to show, and run. Her spirit
was never defeated by this disease but her body was.
This was one of the hardest experiences Carrie and I have had in dogs and
Luna will be missed more than I was ever able to express to this wonderful
girl.

Good-by our beautiful Luna.

Oak

Carrie & Oak Smith
Oak Ridge German Shepherds
Signers: G.S.D.C.A. Breeders Code of Ethics
www.oakridgegsd.blogspot.com