[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pancreatic insufficiency

  • From: "Margaret" <winstone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:07:18 -0700

Hi
I have just taken back a 3 yr old male that I bred  He is supposed to have
allergies, hasn't been socialized, had not been nurtured (as he was supposed to
be) had a lump on his head that had not been taken care of.  I have had him for
a week now, he has been nurtured and the lump removed, the lump was not a
problem, vet figures he had a sliver or something and it filled in around it.
He was on a diet of white fish, yams and barley probably for at least 5 mths, (
I am not getting a lot of information from them, no vet records or anything)
they were doing an elimination diet but I think just quit on him.
I feed a raw diet and have just switched him over to it, my vet felt we were
better to get weight on him, he ways 61 lbs as of yesterday and is skin and
bone.
I have read up on the pancreatic in. and as far as I can see he only has one
symptom of it and that is the appetite, his stool when he came was soft and a
light brown/red color ( I think because of his diet) his stool this morning was
more like a raw fed dog, firm and starting to be a darker stool. Yikes, what a
conversation piece eh!
I would like to know from people who have had this condition if there are other
things I should be looking for.
Since he came on Sat last week I have not seen any bad itchiness, his ears were
a mess but we had it cultured and they were just dirty, no bacteria .
He is the sweetest dog, loves the other ones here including the six Cavaliers.
I am starting some training and socialization with him, had him to the vet's
office yesterday and just sat for about an hour, he was a little stressed at
first but took cookies and was relaxed enough to lay down.
Sorry it got long but wanted to give you a picture of what he is going through.
Margaret