[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PUPPY CUSTOMER--PLEASE READ !!

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:23:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Hopefully  this is NOT the guy who contacted me.  Below is our
conversation--he may be a nice guy but he DEFINATELY does NOT need a GSD
--puppy  or
adult.  Notice especially his 2nd paragraph
See below his email to me and then my answer to him:

hi cheri  thank you for writing back. i've been doing a lot of reading on
GS's and  researching breeders as well.  today i met a breeder for the first
time in Warwick NY on the way home from Boston and got a good education i
think.
anyway about me: i am a 34 yr old single male, i live  in NYC (gramercy) in
an apt approx 900sf, no  personal outdoor space. i am financially stable -
have worked one  job since college (10+yrs). my office is around the block,
i walk to work  which is nice, however i do work a lot which  concerns me.
m-f 9-5 at least - many nights can be 6, 7, 8, 9  depending on how busy i am.
 i'm married to my  work.
i'd be walking a dog in the AM, home for lunch walk  and then after work
exercise. i am in architectural sales (wholesale natural  stone). in my
investigations today i think it  made me realize that i think it is probably
smartest for me to not get a  puppy as much as i want to, it might be better to
get an older GS. this would be  for companionship, not show btw.  i am very
responsible. let me know  what else you need to know from me - i  believe you
are outside of Syracuse?   I went to school @ the U of R (rochester). i
think i would want a  male, my main concern is a gentle,  friendly and
wonderfully happy and healthy dog so the sex of the  animal is not written in
stone.
sometimes  you can just tell from seeing a dog how content and happy they
are - this is  what i am after.  i don't want any problems w/ excessive
barking or  bad w/ other dogs or kids,  etc... i am concerned getting an older
dog with  seperation anxiety. i live on the 4th floor of a 17 floor builing,
there are families and kids and of course nyc is  flooded with people and
animals.  i know any dog can bite if provoked but i  need a star if you know
what i mean. i am not getting the dog for status i  just have always loved
them and i know how smart they are. getting  an older dog does concern me, i
don't want any luggage or unknowns. i  am a little fearful about my  lifestyle
and leaving the dog for 4-5 hrs at a time. so this will happen it is  just
a matter of when is the right time in my  life. right now realistically
might not be the right time but it very well could be since i don't want to
wait
my whole life for the  "right time". another concern with an older dog is
from what i've read,  they bond w owner while being trained and that would
not be me which worries me  a bit. thank you for your time.  sorry if  this is
rambly but there you have a little about me.
mitch
Hi,
Thanks for writing back and telling me about yourself.  However--a  word to
the wise.  I REALLY think your lifestyle and work hours are NOT  conducive
to owning a German Shepherd.
You said
 "i walk to work which is nice, however i do work a lot which concerns me.
m-f 9-5 at least - many  nights can be 6, 7, 8, 9 depending on how busy i
am.  i'm married to my  work. "

German Shepherds are big and athletic dogs and VERY INTELLIGENT dogs  and
do NOT do well being left alone for many hours every day.  They NEED  LOTS of
EXERCISE and LOTS of interaction with their owners.  They do NOT do  well
alone--they can get VERY BORED and get in LOTS of trouble--ie:   tearing up
the furniture, the carpets, and the whole house in general.  If  they have
nothing to do--they WILL INVENT things to do--and what they INVENT  will NOT
be good.
I firmly believe you should either NOT get dog right now--or at the very
least get a small dog who is not so likely to be destructive.  Actually,
from what you have said about the hours you work, I REALLY do NOT think it
would  be wise for you to get a dog now.  A cat can give you lots of affection
and  they do MUCH better alone than a dog would.
Sorry--but that is my professional opinion.  I have had dogs for my  entire
life. (I am 64 yrs old).  I have had German Shepherds for 32  years.  I do
know what they are like and what they "want" out of  life.  What THEY want
is to have a loving owner who will give them  lots of affection and lOTS of
"fun" things to do--including training.
Please rethink what I have said and  do the right thing.  It will  be to
your benefit as well as to the animal who will be alone for much of its  life.

Cheri Hunt
_CheradonShepherds_ (http://www.cheradonshepherds.com/)
Home of Ch. Cheradon AchtungErynbrook Molokai, TC, OFA  H&E, PA,TH,CA, Eyes
Cert. and Certificate of Health Merit Excellent from the  GSDCA (aka Ch.
Mikey)

In a message dated 10/25/2011 11:46:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
TISHW@xxxxxxx writes:

I have  been contacted by someone who is looking for a GSD puppy.  He  is
located in the NY city area on the New Jersey side.  If you have  puppies
in
that area, let me  know.

Tish
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.