[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS hearing

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:51:04 +0000

> > Panel 2: Animal Welfare Groups>
> > Witness 1: Wayne Pacelle, President & CEO - Humane Society of the
> United States>
> > Witness 2: Sara Amundson, Legislative Director - Doris Day Animal
> League>
> > Witness 3: Norma Worley, Director - Animal Welfare Program, Maine
> Department
> > of Agriculture

Norma Worley was hired to run the Maine Animal Welfare program from California,
I believe.  She is anti-breeder - her department introduced and supported
legislation last session in Maine to require a state breeder's license if you
have two litters in a 12 month period, regardless of the number of puppies in
the litter.  I testified against that, and the ag commmittee deleted that part
of the bill.  She's not given up, however, as another bill (which I missed -
didn't see until it was already law) requires that all state licensed breeders
pay a $25 fee to the state for each animal sold that isn't spayed or neutered.
I hope to counter that with an amendment that would exempt breeders who sell
puppies on a spay/neuter contract.

Dogs are not a population problem in Maine.  Cats, are, but, for the most part,
the cats are not coming from breeders, either.  I wonder if state funds are
paying for Norma's trip?  I'm not sure that's an appropriate use of state
dollars.  I find it interesting that none of the animal interests that are
testifying are in the business of routinely providing direct care for animals.
We have a animal shelter director in this state who also breeds and shows
Portugese Water Dogs.  He'll tell you breeders are NOT the problem - and he's
the kind of person they should be hearing from.  Oh, well...

Please DO NOT cross post without my permission.  It's not always safe to speak
up these days...

Laurie

Laurie