[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS 'discussion draft' -- And WHAT TO DO -- Revisited

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:03:41 EST

Now that the long awaited 'discussion draft' of PAWS is posted, many of us
are asking "Does this change anything"?
The short answer is NO.   And you don't even need to read the draft closely
to know that.

Why, after we finally have some specific language am I still saying "Ho,
hum -- who cares"?

Because ALL WE REALLY HAVE IS SEN. SANTORUM'S PROMISE THAT
THIS IS WHAT HE REALLY REALLY WANTS.   It means just about as much
as a note to your landlord saying that you really wish you had enough money
to pay the rent this month.

Look back through the files; you'll find that from six months ago or so there
was talk from the AKC and Sen. Santorum that the PAWS bill would be
revised to exempt rescue and let breeders who register with the AKC duck
AWA compliance.   The question hasn't been "Would Sen. Santorum really
really like to revise his bill"?   It has been and remains IS THERE ANY
CHANCE AT ALL THAT SUCH REVISIONS WOULD FLY?

The answer to that remains NO.   The AKC's pipe dream that USDA will
wave a rolled-up Federal Register over its head and make its "Your dogs
look great to me" inspections count as a substitute for having a separate
facility with the right number of floor drains and walls that can take 180
degree water, is still a pipe dream.

Too many other big players will lose money if the AKC gets its dream.   They
are already lobbying against that dream.   They will be there at every step
of the way, countering the AKC's efforts and if somehow the regulations
that will eventually be written do say "The AKC is so cool that if they think
you're okay, the USDA will smile upon you," then those other players will
sue.

And they will win.   Out in the open government favors to one business that
hurt other businesses don't have much of a chance in court.

PAWS might possibly pass and if it does, inspections by private companies
are nearly certain to be part of the deal.   But when the dust settles,
EVERYONE  WILL BE USING THE SAME RULES.    And those rules will be
essentially the current AWA rules.

This discussion draft is still just a fig leaf -- a gift from Sen. Santorum
the AKC so it will be easier for them to say what they are saying:  "See, by
staying involved, we made the bill better."   Only, of course, the BILL isn't
any better, because (a) The bill hasn't changed, and (b) The kind of
'better' that the AKC wants, is impossible.

SO ... what to do, remains the same.  BEAT PAWS.    The rest of this repeats
the PAWS 'what to do' from the other day.

We need to keep telling our own Congressmen that PAWS is a terrible idea.
EVERY CONGRESSMAN needs to know that this idea stinks.

Go to:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Click 'Ignore this ad.'

Enter your zip code in the box and click GO.    You'll get president Bush,
two senators and a representative -- that's what we all have!   Click a
senator, click 'compose your own letter.'

Fill in a subject like "PLEASE VOTE NO ON PAWS"   or "Please OPPOSE
PAWS."

Then write a short email -- "Sen. Santorum's PAWS -- S 1139/HR 2669 is a
terrible idea.   PLEASE VOTE NO" is good enough but use your own words.

Highlight that text, press 'CNTRL' and C to copy it to your computer's
clipboard.   Finish up by following the directions on the rest of the page.

Now go back to the home page and do it all again for you next senator and
then for your representative except when you get to writing the message,
put the cursor in the box and click 'CNTRL' and V to insert your message.

You can do it all in about five minutes if you don't get long winded!

Have all your family members done this?   Have you gotten dog park friends
and your kennel club members to do it?

We don't need to worry about what's in PAWS; it's terrible and whatever
the AKC says or Sen. Santorum does now will not make the end result any
better or even any different.   We need to BEAT THIS BILL.   The only way
to do that is for every congressman to know that the thing stinks.

Please keep banging away at PAWS.   If we go silent, we stand a good
chance of losing.

THANKS!  Please feel free to forward as you like!

Walt Hutchens
Timbreblue Whippets

Ginger Cleary
He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from
opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will
reach himself.  ~Thomas Paine
Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/