[ SHOWGSD-L ] Owner-Handlers

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:22:02 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/2005 8:32:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I found  that once I stopped handling her, and I was outside the ring,
a lot of the  fun and enjoyment went out of it, even though she was
winning and placing  well.

I have some great memories of being in the ring as a  yout.  I remember one
show when I was in second place in open dogs behind  Gail Sprock. As we stacked
out dogs, I said to Gail, "what should I do to beat  you?"  Gail, as only she
can, told me to "let my dog out, and take the  whole ring."  I was kidding,
and she was serious.

There were shows where Don Newsom and I used to go back and  forth trying to
out handle each other. Many times I have been in the ring with  Lanalee, and
often trying to beat Jerry Guzman or Jerry Graham.  I remember  a Bred By Class
at the national where I won, and behind me was Ken  Downing.  Gary Stasser,
and Dave Rinke were always fun in the  ring,   I will never forget 1982 where I
was second in Specials with  Dave Rinke right behind me.  I never wanted to
be behind him, I couldn't  keep up, and I remember going against one handler
who won a lot before he was  sent to prison for killing his parents.  I
remember
being in the Bred By  Class at local shows against Cappy Pottle and Rosemary,
and thinking what was I  doing in there.  Anyone remember Andy Rhenhowski?
He is a preacher  down South now. Bill Stegner, and then Angie, in the ring
together.  All  great memories.

To me the memories of dog shows include the inside of the ring  as much as
the outside, and it was always great fun to try to beat whoever was  destined
win.  I don't think it was ever me, but that is what makes it  fun.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together