[ SHOWGSD-L ] Owner Handlers - Just do it!

  • From: terranorte@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:36:57 -0400

OK - we have all heard the "ya gotta have a handler to go anywhere with this
breed" speech and we have heard the "All you gotta have is a good dog" chorus.
I am going to take it another step - it is called time management. Every owner
and dog combination has a limited amount of time and money to reach their goal.
For some this goal is to be competitive, for others it is to finish their
championship, for still others is to finish a dog within a certain time frame.
Handlers can help minimize the amount of time it takes to finish/campaign a dog.

That said - I have been fortunate enough to employ the services of some great
handlers as well as finished 2 dogs myself from the Bred-by Exhibitor class
within the past few years. Is it harder to go into that ring and go toe to toe
with the big kahunas? You bet, but not as hard as showing against the cute
little jrs. (kids are always tougher to beat). It is my goal to enjoy
exhibiting my dogs and see part of the country while doing it. Presently, I
don't have anyone I'm showing that must be finished in the next few months. I
assume that I will be showing a dog for probably 24 months to finish them. Not
every dog or owner has the luxury of time.

While I think you have to be fit enough to be able to get around the ring - I
don't think you have to be a great athlete. You just have to want to do it and
have the time to get out with the dogs.  The rewards are great. Come on out -
the water is fine.....

~ Val Manning
   Terra Norte' GSD
   Wellington, CO