[ SHOWGSD-L ] Our GSD Christmas Story

  • From: curdie35@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:36:01 +0000

We have been enjoying all the wonderful and heartwarming stories about all of
your great GSD companions.  So now it is our turn.  About 30 years go we had
our Ibella's Shadow of Salt Aire. (Shadow)  She was our family pet and had only
been in a show ring once, when she was 6 months old where she took Best Puppy.
We were not only very proud of her, but we we loved her so much that we spoiled
her more than we spoiled our 2 legged kids!  At the beginning of December we
started the Christmas decorating and when the box with the Christmas tree came
out of storage, Shadow went wild.  She would dance around and bark and paw at
the box.  She wanted that tree out of the box and up in front of the livingroom
window!  As soon as the stand and the main pole went up - she was right there
at the back by the window and under the "tree".  That was her place for the
whole holiday season. The big problem came when the doorbell rang.  This was a
very large German Shepherd Dog!  She would stand
  up and run to the door - leaving the tree tipped over on the floor with
broken ornaments, knotted up garlands and snarled lights!  We picked the tree
up so many times that we teased about installing handles on the limbs to help
with the lifting. Then one year husband had a brilliant idea - he nailed the
stand to the floor.  He actually pounded nails right through the carpet, the
padding, and into the wood underneath.  From then on, when the doorbell rang
and Shadow jumped up to answer the call, the tree would sway and rock back and
forth, but it never fell over again.
The rest of our Christmas story is about the gifts under the tree.  After our
tree went up, each morning we could see that new gifts would have found their
way under the tree.  At one point a gift would be found with Shadow's name on
it. The children would make sure she knew it was hers and then watch as she
protected that precious package.  When new gifts buried her little gift, she
would ferret it out and place it in the front of the tree where she could keep
her eye on it. By Christmas morning her package was well worn, but never
opened.  She waited with the other children for all the presents to be sorted
out and when everyone else was opening their boxes, she would then tear hers
open with great relish.  It was such a glorious time for us all and we still
morn her passing at the age of 13 after 20+ years!  There is never a Christmas
Day when we don't stop for a minute to remember those Christmas mornings with
Shawdow opening her special gifts. These are TRULY special ani
 mals and we are blessed that they allow us in their lives.
Jody from Midvale