[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ol Roy

  • From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:35:35 -0500

When I worked for a vet in San Antonio, one of the regular questions we asked
was 'what do you feed your dog?"  Many times the answer was Ol' Roy (uggh).
When clients asked what they should feed their dog, we'd answer usually "any of
the premium brands"  (notice we didnt push science diet)  The usual response
was... "But it costs so much and Ol Roy has the same amount of protien that the
other more expensive brand does."  I have always wondered why the protien
content has been the deciding factor in what brand of food to feed, but I
digress.  I got very good at making my point when
discussing dog foods by saying that "while the protien content might be the
same number wise, you have to look at the ingredient the protien content
derives from.  Its's not the amount of protien in the guarenteed analysis,
that is important, but the amount of DIGESTABLE protien.  After all, shoe
leather has the same, if not more protien content as Ol Roy, but you wouldnt
expect to feed your dog old shoes and have him do well... would you?"

I usually got my point across with that statement, and most times on the next
visit the dog owner had switched to one of the better brands of dog food. I'd
also add the "you feed twice the amount of Ol Roy to provide your dog with an
acceptable amount of DIGESTABLE protien as you do one of the better foods.
Better foods mean less stool in the yard, and feeding less while maintianing
good body weight and energy, and in the end costs less"  Between the 2
arguments most would switch, although the comparison to shoe leather usually
made them laugh, albeit a bit uncomfortably.

Cindy Gialluca