[ SHOWGSD-L ] Okay...here I go.

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:49:03 -0700 (PDT)

Please, to all breeders out there....please consider advising people to check
the shelters or GSD Rescue for a pup first. People who are absolutley
determined to purchase a GSD pup will still come back to you, but perhaps for
that one person who just wants companionship, going to their local shelter or
Rescue could save a puppy from a hideous death. There are 50 dogs in Murray
County Ga.; many of them young or pups; who are going to be destroyed tomorrow
morning. This happens almost weekly. There is an entire litter of GSD mixed
pups...absolutley cunning little sweeties, who are in a hell hole and have been
doused with chemicals to kill the fleas that were sucking the life from them. I
know I sound like the grim reaper...and I fully realize this IS a GSD
list...but many of these pups are GSD mixes...the GSD came from SOMEWHERE right?
It was suggested by Diane that if each one of us who shows in the breed ring
donated just ONE ENTRY FEE per year, the amount of money we could generate for
Rescue would be TREMENDOUS! What a great idea! Think of all the GSD's we could
pull nationwide! If there were funds to support our foster people and rescue
people, they could purchase extra pens, maybe find some help, buy more food,
pay more for vet care..I know there are times when they have to choose between
food for themselves and feeding their dogs..I am sure the dogs win.
We spend SO much showing our dogs...the average cost to "finish" one dog I
believe is somewhere around $3,000..That is not including gasoline, hotels,
meals and the time we spend traveling..is donating just 25$ once a year such a
big thing? We will travel hundreds of miles to attend a show, yet not be able
to find the time to do a transport for a rescue?
 I know that alot of us do donate both time and money, but I am putting out a
nationwide challenge to EVERYONE who shows! Dawn Restuccia....