[ SHOWGSD-L ] OT 'virus'? making the rounds in Denver area....

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:04:39 EST

Thanks to a fellow lister.   This is Denver, but thought it might be of
general interest.
Subject: OT 'virus'? making the rounds in Denver area....

**Please feel free to cross-post**

After I originally wrote this below last night, I have heard from others who
had the same issue in the last couple of weeks who plunked down $1000+ at
the ER vet only to have the symptoms subside with only fluids, time and
nothing by mouth.  Tania is totally back to normal this morning (12 hours
post first symptoms) after have some *really* rotting, smelly belching and
gas.  She was looking way better last night after 4 hours, sub-q fluids, and
5 drops of Parvaid. Everyone in the house got treated with Parvaid (don't
know if it works preventatively, but thought it was worth a shot) and
Elliot, while he had the same rotting, smelly belching, has not yet had any
other symptoms, so perhaps the Parvaid helped.  I don't know.  I am not
easily scared by dog sickness, but this one scared the pants off me; it was
so *fast* and completely dramatic in terms of the dog.  She looked like she
wanted to die.  Thankfully, this seems harmless enough; just scary at first.

*Original post*
My vet in Highlands Ranch, CO, has had 5 cases of whatever this is in the
last week, including one of my own dogs.  The dogs are literally fine one
minute and the next, they are dumpy, have diarrhea and are vomiting and are
chilled.  They quickly dehydrate.  With fluids and no food, they are back to
normal within 24 hours.

The first dog she got in earlier this week was a pup and they were worried
it was an obstruction, so they ran barium in the dog.  Within 45 minutes, it
was coming out the other end.  :(   They rehydrated the dog and within 24
hours, the pup was back to normal.  That scene has been played out in her
office 3 more times this week, then again today with my bitch Tania, except
we skipped the office visit.  She was literally fine and being her normal
bouncy self when I got home at 5:30.  45 minutes later, she was *extremely*
depressed, vomiting, with diarrhea that she couldn't even make it outside
for.  Temp was 98 and she was so dehydrated, her skin stayed pinched up.  I
called my vet, who told me what had been happening all week.  I put about
100 mL of ringer's in her sub-q and put her on a low heating pad.  I also
gave her 5 drops of Parvaid (www.ambertech.com), which I always keep on
hand....this isn't parvo, but Parvaid is really good for severe vomiting and
diarrhea. About three hours later, she is looking much perkier and pretty
close to her normal.  No food tonight, a few more drops of Parvaid before
bed, more fluid in the morning and as long as she is doing well, I will ease
her back into eating tomorrow.

Just thought I would put this out there.  I am not quick to go to the vet,
but she was bad enough that I would have been going straight to the
emergency clinic if I hadn't been able to reach one of my vets.  Just wanted
folks to have a heads up.  I certainly expect to see this in more of my dogs
over the next few days.

Dawn-Renée

Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com