[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT - long - cruelty and abuse do not take a holiday

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:29:36 -0800 (PST)

This is a horrible thing to have happen, children should always be safe.
Is the law not different in every state on how abuse is handled?  I feel
sorry for the dog too as sometimes horrible people do horrible things
to make a statement to their family.  It would be devastating for this boy
if something happened to his dog.  Problem seems to always be so many
times that until something bad happens nothing is ever done before hand.
I do understand a child can get scared but for this child to run with his dog
there has to be some truth to it.

Theresa

On Mon, 12/23/13, cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Pat and I have been in a program
 called foster to adopt.  That program targets children
 that have a high probability of needing adoption while still
 being in foster care until birth parents rights are legally
 terminated. That way they won't be moved from temporary
 foster homes to help with their stability  We tried to
 adopt all six in our care which also included premature twin
 boys that we picked up from the hospital after their birth.
 It is heartbreaking and immoral (in my opinion) that many
 times these kids are returned over and over to unfit and
 unsafe homes. I was told by a family judge that this is
 based on the old time cattle laws. Children are property and
 as such bad and unsafe parents have property rights.

 Celeste

 Sent from my iPhone

 On Dec 23, 2013, at 1:58 PM, <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 > After what happened yesterday morning, my husband and I
 feel as if all of our Holiday cheer has been sucked right
 out of us.

 > Yesterday morning, my husband, Charlie, let "Burger"
 outside.  Shortly afterwards, Charlie heard Burger
 barking loudly.  Charlie walked down the long drive and
 came upon a sight he never expected; a SMALL BOY had climbed
 the gate despite Burger's barking.

 > This little boy was terrified!  Through his tears,
 he kept saying that his father was killing his mother.
 After calming him down, he told us what had happened.
 He said he woke up to the sounds of his mom and dad
 fighting.  He said his father then grabbed a butcher
 knife and chased his mother upstairs.  That's when he
 ran.

 > He walked up and down the somewhat busy road, knocking
 on doors, hoping that someone would help him.  No one
 was home.  He then walked down our 3/4 mile private
 driveway that meanders through deep wood.  My heart was
 already broken when the boy asked if he could please bring
 his dog inside the fence.

 > The boy introduced us to "Cocoa," a 14 year old
 Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  He then proceeded to extol
 the virtues of this grand old dame.  It was the only
 time the boy's face lit up.  As terrified as that boy
 was, he could not leave his beloved dog and best friend
 behind.

 > While we were waiting on the police, I tried to
 convince the kid that he was safe.  That we would
 protect him.  He was beginning to calm when he thought
 he heard his father coming up the drive.  The boy
 panicked, so I took him and Cocoa into the house.  The
 whole time the kid was begging me to let our GSDs
 outside.  He just knew that the dogs would protect him
 from his father.  He thought his dad was coming to kill
 us all.  I can't even begin to describe the terror I
 saw in this beautiful little 10 year old boy's  eyes.

 > The police told us that the mother was okay.  She
 denied that the father attempted to attack her with a
 butcher knife.  She said that he took it upstairs to
 open a package.  Huh?  The officer also said that
 the mother was lying; however, since no one was injured,
 their hands were tied. I wanted to scream!  I will
 never forget the boy staring up at us with his huge hazel
 eyes and pleading with us to help him.  To protect
 him.  To save him.  The police said we did the
 right thing.  Then, why do we feel as if we let the boy
 down?

 > PLEASE keep little Hayden and his dog Cocoa in your
 thoughts and prayers this Holiday Season.  Little boys
 and girls are supposed be dreaming about the gifts they will
 find under the tree on Christmas morning or the fun they'll
 have during Hanukkah.  They aren't supposed to have to
 worry about Daddy killing Mommy or Daddy killing them.