[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OT - THAT Horse CAN Run!

  • From: LAURA RICCI <lricci@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 13:11:39 -0400

Dullahan and Mine That Bird are half-brothers - both out of the mare
Mining My Own. They have different sires: Mine That Bird was sired by
Birdstone (winner of the 2004 Belmont) and Dullahan was sired by Even
The Score. In horse breeding parlance, horses are considered half
siblings only if they are out of the same mare. If they only have the
same sire, they are just said as being by the same sire. This isn't
done because horse breeders no nothing about genetics, but rather to
make it easier to keep track of family lineage since a mare can only
have one foal a year naturally (not counting twins, which are rare and
not desired) verses the 100+ mares a top stallion will breed during
the breeding season. And in Thoroughbreds, all breedings have to be
100% natural - no AI, no embryo transfer, etc. The stallion must cover
the mare.
So because all Thoroughbred breedings must occur naturally, it's
impossible for any Thoroughbred to have a half-sibling of the same age
(remember the equine definition of a half-sibling). I'll Have Another
is out of Archs Gal Edith and is of no immediate relation to Mining My
Own. I'll Have Another's sire is Flower Alley who won the 2005 Travers
Stakes (nick-named the "Mid-Summer Derby") and was second in the 2005
Breeders Cup Classic. I'll Have Another's pedigree is dripping in
staying potential - going strictly by pedigree, he should have no
problem getting the 1 1/2 miles of the Belmont Stakes.

Mine That Bird and Dullahan are the only ones of the three horses
mentioned that are half-brothers. I'll Have Another is not.