[ SHOWGSD-L ] OT - Head Injuries

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:53:29 -0400

Yesterday, the "Luck of the Irish" ran out for an Irish actor and his wife.  As
some of you may have heard or read, English actor Natasha Richardson, daughter
of Vanessa Redgrave and wife of  Irish-born Liam Neeson, sustained a head
injury in a fall while skiing in Canada.

The injury appeared to be minor.  Ms. Richardson was talking afterwards and
felt okay until about one hour after the accident. Her condition then began to
deteriorate rapidly and she became comatose.  She has been transported to NYC
in critical condition and is reportedly "brain dead."  She's not expected to
recover.  Apparently the fall caused an epidural hemorrhage or hematoma(leakage
of blood between the brain and skull).

This should serve as a warning to all.  That any "bump" on the head is
potentially dangerous.  I learned this lesson the hard way...  When in high
school, I hit the back of my head after falling while jumping a horse.  I was
disoriented, but got back on the horse to finish the course.  I was not allowed
to do so and was sidelined.  After a short while, I felt just fine.  Just a
very minor headache.

That night, I suffered an excruciating headache and was taken to the hospital.
My "minor" head injury caused me to have seizures off and on for the next 2.5
years.  Ms. Richardson was not wearing a helmet.  I *was* wearing a helmet, but
it didn't prevent the injury.

I don't know about you guys, but my dogs have accidentally knocked me down more
than once and I have come close to hitting my head pretty hard again.  Anyone
who hits his head hard enough to cause disorientation and/or loss of
consciousness should go to the hospital immediately for examination and
observation.  This is nothing to take lightly.  Especially when one is on a
"blood thinner."

To learn more about Intracranial Hematomas here's a link:
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch087/ch087e.html .

My heart goes out Ms. Richardson, Mr. Neeson, their family and friends.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam