[ SHOWGSD-L ] OFA's new DM Gene Marker Test

  • From: "Peter Cacioppo" <petercacioppo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:01:46 -0700

Previous e-mail FROM REBECCA:
From: "Rebecca Little" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DM DNA test from OFA
Has anyone on the list used the DM test from OFA? I just ordered one and
will do the rest of my gang over time(its $65 per test). Just wondering what
everyone thought of the test.
Rebecca Little

My ANSWER:
Yes, used it on Cab and got a great result for him.

Eagle Hill's Cabernet Sauvignon
( "Cab" or "Cabernet")AKC DN11042402.
Cab has his permanent OFA Hip and Elbow Certification: Hips Good and Elbows
Normal, received on June 1, 2007:  GS-76443G24M-PI (micro-chip);
GS-EL20512M24-PI.  Cab also received a Normal/Normal on his two OFA DM
markers, received March 31, 2009; GS-DM132/46M-PI.

I ran Cab through the OFA test for DM (this is the University of Missouri's
test)  Remember they test something different than the University of Florida
researchers apparently. It is said that the University of Missouri people
think DM is related to the L. Gehrig disease, and the University of Florida
is saying GSDM is like the human Multiple Sclerosis ("MS") disease.
Anyway, the OFA test is showing Cab has two normal genes. (I believe it is
like "coats", where a puppy gets one gene from the sire and one gene from
the dam.  Thus, a puppy could be a "carrier" on DM by getting  one defective
gene from the dam and one normal gene from the sire.....or the puppy could
be at risk, by getting two defective genes, one from each parent.... or two
normal genes, like Cab).  Thus a sire like Cab can only give a normal gene
when he is bred.  If the dam also has two normal genes, then each puppy
resulting can only have two normal genes.

You order the DM testing kit from the OFA site.
It is a simple swab from inside of the mouth and results came back in only 3
weeks.

Peter Cacioppo
www.EagleHillGroup.net
Eagle Hill Wines and Vineyards, Moraga, CA