[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA costs

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: hollywoods@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:12:49 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2007 10:41:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hollywoods@xxxxxxx writes:
I got a  quote yesterday on OFA xrays for hips and elbows. About 360.00
dollars. How  does that compare to what everyone else is paying?

Holly  Woods

The actual fee that goes to OFA  for hips and elbows when sent  in together
is $35 (remember to send another $5 and mark the application if you  want your
films returned; I always do.)

IF your vet is using anesthesia, $360 is about right, considering  you'll
spend +/- $100 for a CBC (I wouldn't do anesthesia without it), the cost  of
the
anesthesia itself, add at least another $100 + the films then   the recovery
time at the vets' post anesthesia.

Some vets, (not all) charge the office visit.

We have a vet locally that charges $120; $60 each end (thank goodness  Ann
Marie found him!) and doesn't use anesthesia or charge an office visit fee  and
we send in our own films, with the fee to get them back $40, so it's a
savings of $200 from what you were quoted.

It seems the blood work, anesthesia and possible office visit charge are
making up the difference.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds