[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Now Foundation Dinner

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:33:59 EDT

Thanks for the inputs Kathaleen.  I'm going to forward this to  our board
if that is ok with you so that they can think about these  things.
Tish

In a message dated 10/22/2009 12:29:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Actually, I have supported the foundation dinner 2 out of the last 3  years.
We went to the one in Denver -- it was an absolutely enjoyable  evening.  We
had a good time and the money flowed.  In Beaumont  -- well, it was really a
VERY quiet affair which while good intentioned,  wasn't enjoyable enough to
entice us to attend again this year.  If  the Foundation wants people to
take
time out of their busy schedules, they  might try to use their considerable
power to affect some of these  changes:

1) Scheduling of the show needs to be done in such a fashion  that the
judging of the show isn't ending every day at 6pm or later.   With the
exception of Saturday, I don't think we got out of that show site  before
dark.  It absolutely amazes me -- I don't know how we'd get  through the
kinds of nationals like we had even in the mid-90's, like 1996,  the 6-9
puppy bitch class had 69 puppies entered and I think over 50 of  them showed
(all I remember is we were in the 6th group and I think there  was a group
behind us), the rest of the classes were well over 25 -- how in  heck would
we get through a show like that nowadays?

2) Some folks  have the impression that the foundation cocktail dinner is a
'mucky-muck"  affair and that it's "exclusive".  Perception is a key -- I
know it's  not exactly as it may be perceived, but olive branches in the
right  directions may be lead to a considerable change in the attendance.
Perhaps  the "exclusivity" of the event worked in the past, but as the
economic  changes hit the country, this one item may need to be dealt with
insure  there are continued funding opportunities for this most worthy  of
charitable organizations.

3) Maybe some market research might be  a viable way of understanding some
of
the reasons people don't attend  it.  My first years working after high
school was with marketing  research organizations.  The way you ask a
question can lead you to  the answer you want, or if you want a real
representation of the populace's  thoughts, there's other ways of asking
those questions. In any event,   Constant Contact has a module on it which
could be used in a two-way  marketing benefit by A) finding out what people
perceive about the event B)  what prevents them from attending C) Asking
questions in a manner which  provides information while at the same time
gathering information:   Were you aware that the funds gained from this
event
all go towards  research?  Yes   No  That kind of thing.  This is a  VERY
economical way of asking questions.  Further, the gsdca.org  website has a
module in which simple one or two question surveys can be  created and
asked,
perhaps the Foundation should look at updating their  site and incorporating
information like this.

4) Marketing --  Marketing -- Marketing -- This blood draw thing is a
perfect
example.   I heard the announcements, I vaguely recall hearing that it was
for cancer  -- but some people are very concerned about having blood drawn
on
their  dogs and then showing them.  There are different methods which can
be
utilized to make it more palatable for people to contribute:  Every  person
who submits a dog for a blood draw gets a drink coupon for the  foundation
dinner or a raffle ticket for Xyz excellent item.  Or...  Every person who
submits a dog for a blood draw gets a discount coupon from  "xyz" corporate
vendor (ie petsmart, petco).  Most importantly you  have to Market the
benefits to show people they can have a feel good thing  AND a benie too.
It
would require getting in touch with a corporate  vendor, but with the
Foundation's prestige it's a good possibility that it  could be a mutually
beneficial partnership.  Maybe you've already done  this and since I didn't
participate in this year's blood draw, I don't know  about it.  Maybe more
information in the Review prior to the National  (at least 2 ads spaced
within 3 months of the national).  And More of  a web presence on the GSDCA
website should be sought to insure that every  member of this club is aware
of the Foundation and it's good works -- The  new website is working and
it's
a great tool to for making sure that  messages are received by the target
audience which is visiting.   Sometimes details get lost in articles (ie
people don't always read them),  and sometimes you need to have your message
appear monthly for it to sink  in (hence the ads you see on tv where they
run
the same commercial twice in  a row with significant jingles which after
hearing them multiple times you  can recite when they come on).

We are in different economical  times.  Different strategies need to be
looked at to insure the goals  of an organization are realized in situations
where funding may be lessened  due to contributors not having excess funds
give. Please understand, I  am not writing this as a base criticism, rather
just throwing out some  ideas which have worked for the organizations I have
worked with and run in  the effort to help.

Regards,

Kathaleen