[ SHOWGSD-L ] Not just mentors, EVERYONE!

  • From: "Caggra@xxxxxxx" <caggra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jackkilgour@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:03:29 -0500

Jack - Outstanding post.   It seems true Mentors are few and far between these
days.  However, I also believe everyone, not just "mentors" can have a direct
and drastic influence on things....

I think that outside of actual mentoring, it is EVERYONE's responsibility to
give "Joe Public" a good impression of dog shows.   However, everytime I sign
on the List people are fighting and some are downright mean.  Many times I go
to a dog show and witness poor sportsmanship.   I hear about  dog club meetings
and Parent club meetings where members are always fighting back and forth.
Why would anyone want to be a part of all this?   There is SO much good in our
club and at dog shows, but it's so often overshadowed by this messy stuff I
list above.

In the end the only thing that will truly save our breed/sport is for each and
every person individually and separately to take responsibility and decide that
everytime WE go to a dog show, or a dog club meeting, or get on the List - WE
are going to make a positive impact.  WE are not going to be mean.  WE are not
going to display poor sportmanship.  WE are going to have positive discussions,
support OUR  fellow competitors and just plain old be nice!   It starts with
one person, then ten, then more.   As much as I know negativity spreads I have
to believe the same is true about positive behavior.   It's up to each and
every single one of us to live it and be it.   Then maybe people will see
something they want to be a part of.   Love our dogs and love each other, even
when it's difficult.  People would want to be a part of that......

JMO....
Jeff Pyle
Windfall