[ SHOWGSD-L ] Nizhoni is Navajo for Beautiful/ Sad news

  • From: "Oak&Carrie Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 08:34:12 -0600

It is with incredible saddness that I report the passing of our beautiful
ROM girl Nizhoni.

On wednesday night late, Nizhoni bloated and torsioned. We thought we did
everything right, raw food, no corn or rice, digestive enzymes. And yet
after a day spent lounging on the bed, eating her dinner in her crate and
then going outside before bedtime she bloated. Carrie recognized it right
away and though we live very rural we had her to the vet within the hour and
an operation was performed .  But after two nights and three days she began
a decline that all we could do wouldn't stop. This morning I lay down with
her in my arms and with me on one side of her and Carrie laying on the
other, as we stroked her and told her how much we loved her, she just
stopped living.

Nizhoni was the daughter of the great Windwalker's Yes Virginia, group
winner at Westminster, and Geo Valadez, the great 3x Mexican Grand Victor.

Though she never finished herself it was our fault for living so rural and
our unwillingness to part with her to a handler for finishing.
She was the 2007 top ROM girl.
From one litter alone she produced three champions and a Westminster Award
of Merit winner.

Carrie and I fell in love with the girl while attending a show in
Albuquerque NM. She was 9 or 10 weeks old. We took her home from there for
socalizing and kept her for two months before we returned her to her
breeder. We could not afford her but missed her so much that we said to hell
with the money, traveled to Flagstaff AZ where she was living in a kennel
and rescued her. We had not seen her for four months but she recognized us
immediately and from that moment on was almost constantly in our company.

Just Carrie and I showing her resulted in ten points and two major reserves.

I am sure Carrie will write some, or not, it is very difficult to sit here
doing this, but in a way it helps.

I had never experienced a sudden bloat like this, and in my foolishness
thought it would not happen to us.

Nizhoni is a Navajo word for beatiful. I will so miss my beautiful girl,
more than I can express.

Goodbye my beautful girl, god knows I loved you and I miss you.

Carrie & Oak Smith
Oak Ridge German Shepherds
Dedicated to the German Shepherd Dog
Signers: GSDCA Breeder's Code of Ethics